Feedback etiquette

What is everyone's opinion on leaving feedback as a buyer? I won't leave feedback until the seller has left it first because as a buyer and having paid for the item I have completed my end of the bargain first, therefore I beleive the seller should comment after receiving funds which Is before the item is posted. I think when the seller tries to wait they are being defensive and possibly have something to hide or want the opportunity to leave poor feedback if they receive it. When I sell something I always leave feedback first.
Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Feedback etiquette

This reply was intended to reference "melenny01" as the buyer/seller.
Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

bugboi
Community Member

I so agree with this, they have the money and we as buyers are waiting for the item.What can the seller be waiting for, the money isnt going to be what they wernt expecting or was late comming to them. Its in there account.The just wait to see if we as buyers leave good feedback or bad and then they either leave feedback for us or not. Its not right in any way shape or form that they wait to do whats right.

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

so if you don't like the idea don't buy on ebay. feedback is not compulsory you don't have to leave it nor does the seller. Are you buying items or feedback?

Also sellers are usually busy attending to other buyers and do not leave individual feedback some choose to leave it in bulk and some have it automatically set to leave it once the buyer has so they know the buyer is happy and the transaction is finished.

Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

melenny01 wrote:
I think when the seller tries to wait they are being defensive and possibly have something to hide or want the opportunity to leave poor feedback if they receive it. 

So wrong - Sellers can not leave poor feedback - if they put a green dot (the only option BTW) and a negative comment it will be removed

at the buyers request by eBay.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

To the OP -

I am primarily a seller. I leave feedback once a week, so some customers will get feedback after paying and before receiving their goods, but some will get it after receiving their goods. I don't check whether or not the buyer has left feedback or not.

This allows me to make personal comments to my amazing customers without always leaving feedback comments that are generated automatically.

I am surprised the issue of feedback causes so much angst - after all, it is voluntary and is just a tool designed to help buyers know if they can confidently buy.

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

@bugboi wrote:

I so agree with this, they have the money and we as buyers are waiting for the item.What can the seller be waiting for, the money isnt going to be what they wernt expecting or was late comming to them. Its in there account.The just wait to see if we as buyers leave good feedback or bad and then they either leave feedback for us or not. Its not right in any way shape or form that they wait to do whats right.

bugboi, so glad you posted,  welcome to my Christmas list.

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

@bugboi wrote:

Wait to do what's right? Are you serious? What is right and expected from a seller is posting the item after it's been paid for. End of story. If the seller then wants to leave feedback, that's their choice as it's VOLUNTARY. If they don't, that's also their choice. As a seller, I am NOT going to leave a buyer glowing feedback, only for them to turn around and trash my feedback, trash my stars and give me a defect on my account because they were too ignorant to read the description.

Oh yes, buyer ABC was so wonderful s/he paid. Woohooo!! That should cause the world to stop spinning. Do you expect a big fanfare when you go to the supermarket and pay for your groceries, or go to the shop and buy a new shirt? Go you, you went into a shop and bought a shirt.....and PAID for it, the ticker tape parade is about to begin. Quick, shut the main street down for the fanfare.

Do you buy something for the actual item, or are you paying for pretty green dots on a screen? Given that you can only get green dots on a screen, it's pretty pointless. Me personally, I buy something because I want the item. I don't give a hoot about green dots.

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

@bugboi wrote:

I so agree with this, they have the money and we as buyers are waiting for the item.What can the seller be waiting for, the money isnt going to be what they wernt expecting or was late comming to them. 

Here's something a lot of buyers just don't seem to understand about sellers, and it obviously affects a lot of attitudes surrounding feedback:

Money isn't everything. Smiley Surprised

And a buyer's involvement in a transaction isn't over just because they pay for an item - paying for the item is the beginning of a transaction, and a seller has every right to wait until the end of the transaction before they assess whether it was a positive experience for them. 

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

I always leave feedback as soon as I receive my items, and every now and then - specially if I'm feeling a bit down - I read the feedback left for me by my sellers (cos it cheers me up  to read nice things things abut myself)  Woman LOL

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply