Fixed Price Constantly Changing

So I’ve been watching an item with a fixed price for about 2 weeks. The price started at $90. I kept it in mind and when I looked back about a week later it was listed for $130. The price then dropped to $120, then $110, then $100, then $90. Today it was listed for $85 so I decided to buy it. In the whole 30 seconds it took for me to decide this, its price went back up to $100. I questioned why the price had gone up and wasn’t really given a reason. Then the item was listed again for $85 but now it’s listed as unsold. Would you bother after all this? I’m worried the sale will get canceled. I know sellers can list their items for whatever price they like but is it normal to keep changing the price for the same item?
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

What's the item number ?

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Can i post that in here?
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, it is OK to post the item number when you are asking about something specific in connection with the listing that cannot be answered without seeing the actual listing.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@be.be.ce.ce wrote:
So I’ve been watching an item with a fixed price for about 2 weeks. The price started at $90. I kept it in mind and when I looked back about a week later it was listed for $130. The price then dropped to $120, then $110, then $100, then $90. Today it was listed for $85 so I decided to buy it. In the whole 30 seconds it took for me to decide this, its price went back up to $100. I questioned why the price had gone up and wasn’t really given a reason. Then the item was listed again for $85 but now it’s listed as unsold. Would you bother after all this? I’m worried the sale will get canceled. I know sellers can list their items for whatever price they like but is it normal to keep changing the price for the same item?

It sounds as if you have struck someone who is fairly new to selling on ebay and they weren't sure what price to put on it so they kept changing their mind.

As far as I know, it is perfectly okay for them to change the price on their ad while there are no bids or in this case, no one who has bought it.

You've probably shown your hand a bit by querying them but at least it shows someone was interested. I guess it would be hard for them to give a reason for changing the price, except they think their item is worth more than $85 but aren't sure if they can actually sell it for what they would like.

From your description, what I am understanding is you haven't actually hit the 'buy' button at any stage. All that has happened is the ad went for its week or whatever then expired without selling. If that's the case, then you can't buy anyway unless they decide to relist it.

If they do relist & you want it, then keep an eye on it or buy it. It may never go at $85 though as it sounds as if they changed that quickly as they decided it was too low. If it's $90 or $100, is that a fair price? if it is & you're interested, buy.

If the sale gets cancelled you'll still get money back & a chance for feedback, no loss. But if they get about $100 I get a sense they will probably go through with the sale.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

The seller definitely is not new - over 1200 in sales, The price is being changed numerous times daily. She did admit she undervalued the item and paid more than what she listed it for. I’m going to forget about it. Just looks like as soon as she gets a view or 2 she changes the price. Who has time for that? She seems rather attached to the item.
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@be.be.ce.ce wrote:
The seller definitely is not new - over 1200 in sales, The price is being changed numerous times daily. She did admit she undervalued the item and paid more than what she listed it for. I’m going to forget about it. Just looks like as soon as she gets a view or 2 she changes the price. Who has time for that? She seems rather attached to the item.

I have to admit, that does surprise me. You'd think with 1200 sales under her belt, she would know better.

Are you sure that is sales though & not mainly feedback as a buyer? Just that it seems odd for anyone but a newbie to change prices several times daily.

It could be that now it has been through one cycle of being on sale, with some interest but no actual sale no matter what price it was, she might settle down, choose a price & stick with it. I can't think of anything more offputting as a potential buyer than to see an item at eg $90 one day then $130 the next. Even if it is worth about $130, it sets your back up. She would do better to start higher & move down slightly next time she relists.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply