For Australia - is there a way to tell which sellers have pay after delivery?

I've noticed especially since GST has come in for ebay Australia, pay after delivery is sporadic.  I wanted to see if there is any way to find which sellers on ebay will offer pay after delivery before I click "commit to buy" and find out payment is immediate on the invoice.

From what I can see so far

- For Australian sellers, using Australian currency, pay after delivery is standard

- For non Australian sellers, using Australian currency, pay after delivery might be used

- For overseas sellers converting australian currency, pay after delivery is never used

But could be totally wrong on this.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

As far as I know "Afterpay" isn't available for purchases on eBay, the only thing that is available is "Cash on Delivery" through AP, which is a pretty expensive service by AP.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/posting-items/cash-delivery-sellers?id=4367&st=12&pos=2&query=C...

Most sellers don't understand what COD means for them - often using the term instead of "Cash on Pickup" for pick-up items.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

@johmichaels wrote:

From what I can see so far

- For Australian sellers, using Australian currency, pay after delivery is standard

But could be totally wrong on this.  Any ideas?

I think you are wrong to think that pay after delivery is standard for Australian sellers, unless you are meaning the sellers receive cleared funds from PayPal after delivery can be confirmed i.e. funds released before 21 day hold.

I'd like to know how you arrived at this conclusion.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

paper bagJust wanting to point out this issue has been brought up (and clarified) on the boards numerous times...

The OP isn't talking about Afterpay, or PayPal credit, and I believe they meant it was provided as a standard option to them, when paying Australian sellers - they are talking about a service that is offered quite selectively to members with confirmed bank accounts (no CC on file, typically no balance, either). The buyer makes a purchase, and instead of the seller receiving an eCheque, they get an instant payment, and the funds are debited from the bank account 2 weeks later rather than straight away.

To the OP - PayPal don't provide any clear info on which transactions it will apply or not, all they say is that it won't be available on all of them, and imply it's not (or unlikely to be) available on purchases for intangible items, and cross-border transactions. Perhaps GST means cross-border transactions are more detectable to the system when the currency is AUD? Not sure, just conjecture really as I've never had access to this service. 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply