For once the stars were aligned

I had an eBay voucher to use - spend $100 get $20 off.  Trouble was, I couldn't find anything to spend it on.  With expiry on 10 Aug I was beginning to think it was going to have to let this one go.

Then last night I stumbled across a collectable item at a fantastic price and it was a BIN.  I looked at the photos and description, checked the seller's rating (100% and lots of happy customers) and all seemed good so I added it to my watch list to 'think about it' though in truth I'd be silly to let it go.  While I've seen this item up for sale before. in it's condition and at the price on offer it could be described as rare.  There were 11 other watchers.

Then I noticed the seller had incluuded Or Best Offer so I made an offer, while making sure I was still over the $100 voucher minimum.  I was hoping the seller would see my offer as a guaranteed sale among a sea of interested watchers.  It would expire after the voucher did but I thought I've got today to wait to see what happened unless it sold in the meantime.  Logged on this morning and nothing had changed.  Then in the afternoon I got an eBay message to pay for the item.  Wow.

The seller had accepted my offer, then I added the voucher to at the checkout and I'm now waiting delivery (from the UK) of a much wanted item for my collection.  Truly the gods were smiling on me today.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

And amongst the rubble comes a good story to lift our week.

Good for you. Smiley Very Happy

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

For future reference, as long as you hit the Pay button by 11.58pm you will get the voucher discount.

I have cut it that fine on 2 occasions and it was OK.

I am sitting on my voucher till late tomorrow in the hope that I will be able to add to my $93 total waiting to be paid for.

Worst case scenario I can add $7 worth of cheapies from China...they are always handy to make up  few dollars.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

I've cut it fine (welll not 2 minutes fine exactly) on an earlier occasion, but this time I also had to consider whether another collector would buy the item.  At one point, having made the offer I wondered if dithering meant I'd miss out....but with the Oz dollar not great against the pound and factoring in the postage the costs sure can add up.

It's funny.  I originally had in mind to buy an item from the US if only the seller would consider not using the GSP as the shipping cost was so ridiculous.  I asked the seller and got a might consider it reply.  In the meantime the item failed to sell (auction) for the 4th time and I waited to see what would happen.  It wasn't relisted, and the seller never contacted me so I deleted the item from my watch list and was back to square one on using the voucher.

You never know what's going to happen on eBay sometimes. 🙂

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply