GSP & a bulk lot of books

So, I am having nothing but issues with smaller items listed with the GSP, but I've just looked up the title of a book I am interested in and realised there are a few sellers listing the entire series of Time Life books at very decent prices. My concern is that one buyer, in particular, has this lot of eight books listed with the GSP and on this occasion  the shipping actually seems astonomically low compared to some others - $43.60 for a set of books which another seller has estimated to weigh around 24lbs packed. Do you think PB would be likely to refuse to ship them to me? Can I be charged anything extra beyond the fee I pay at checkout? It seems to me by reading through ebay's GSP info page that is all I have to pay, but there could be something I am missing.

TIA

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: GSP & a bulk lot of books

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Are you sure that the seller has not quoted the price for them to send the books by road transport to Pitney Bowes?

I have heard that when you actually buy an item the price can change considerably when you go to pay.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I tried changing my location to the US to see what the price difference would be and it is about $20, so I don't know. The whole system seems quite <insert expletive>. I think I will try to ring ebay and see what they have to say about it, because it doesn't really seem like it should be legal the way it's all done. I mean, I have a right to know how much shipping will be before I purchase, surely, and with an auction I am guessing it is hard to get out of it? It's all getting me very confused. I make a lot of purchases from overseas, and I've never encountered this kind of thing before. I wouldn't even bother if it weren't for the fact that the shipping is so incredibly low. Another seller independent of this GSP nonsense has quoted me around $150 for the same books to be delivered.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I have used GSP shipping perhaps 8 or so times.

On the first occasion I purchased an item weighing 44 lbs. The GSP shipping cost was around $23 - that is what was shown on the listing and it did not cost a cent more. Perhaps it was a subsidised cost - I don't know but it was an excellent service, around 7 days from US to my door via Fedex.

I really don't understand the costing because other small items have cost much more. I have never paid, though, anything other than the shipping cost shown upfront on the listing.

Apart from the high cost on small items, I have never had a problem with it.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Wow, that is interesting to know. So perhaps the shipping indicated is correct then. I still don't understand how the shipping can change after the auction ends. But I was concerned that perhaps the seller hadn't entered the correct weight for the goods.  However, based on your 44lbs item and low shipping cost I am guessing that may not necessarily be the case. Thanks for your input Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply