GST can of worms

ebay now has a dilemna.

It has been forced on them it seems by the Australian governement.

Are there laws that enforce a consumer to pay GST? 

When consumers do a transaction in Australia with any merchant, it is the merchants responsibility to collect GST. There are fines for merchants who transact without providing a GST invoice. 

However it is my understanding no law ensits the merchant police the consumer to pevent them walking out that store and purchasing goods elsewhere if they do not wish to pay GST. Are there?

Doesn't the consumer have the right (knowing the purchase arrangements after they buy the product) to walk out the store and purchase it some way else?

If that is the case, why does ebay have a platform that appears to try and prevent buyers and sellers transacting outside the ebay platform? 

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

GST can of worms

....And why does ebay appear to have a platform where once a consumer knows they have to pay GST, they can't cancel their purchase straight away....Quickly, without fuss. Without any ramifications or any bad marks against their buyer rating? In essence why does ebay seem to make it so difficult for a consumer to cancel a transaction if they are unhappy about the payment process? 

Message 2 of 39
Latest reply

GST can of worms

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Yes, there are laws that force Australian consumers to pay GST.....they have been in force for 18 years now.

You can walk away from a seller who is GST registered and charges GST.....if you can find a small seller who is not registered for GST you arequite welcome to buy from them.

Ebay is now obliged to collect and remit the GST but you are quite at liberty to find other overseas sellers to buy from if you do not like the arrangements.

Message 3 of 39
Latest reply

GST can of worms

But the point I am making is "you are not at liberty" to "find other sellers.."

....ebay does not allow you to simply  "walk away"... 

ebay positively discourages you to do that... once you have found out GST is charged, ebay does not make it easy for you to cancel that transaction, and they do not make it easy for you to transact outside the ebay platform..

They actively discourage that...

In fact there are buyer penalties if they catch you are there not? 

..bad buyer ratings etc....even banning your account?

Message 4 of 39
Latest reply

GST can of worms

@anner1813,

You don't have to buy on eBay; you can buy from a seller's own site if you wish (if the seller has a site).

If you do buy on eBay, you know beforehand that if you're purchasing from an eBay seller on eBay who is located overseas, you will be paying the new low-value imported goods GST. (Check the seller's feedback profile to find out in which country they're registered.) With that in mind, you can always google a seller's name and see whether they have their own selling website.

However, under eBay's member-to-member policy, you can't contact the seller through eBay in order to purchase outside of eBay. eBay have definitely gone a little berserk over members contacting each other, but I do understand that they don't want to actually enable transactions outside of eBay since that would be a revenue loss. Have you read through the eBay Member-to-member policy? It explicitly states:

We don't allow our members to:

While eBay claims that this is for members' safety, of course that's a load of codswallop! It is solely down to eBay wanting as much in profit as possible. I think the policy and the idea behind it just makes the whole business of buying and selling on eBay complicated and needlessly difficult, not to mention that it makes it impossible to inspect pick-up items before buying... but if one wants to use eBay, one needs somehow to work within the policies.

eBay's Offers to buy or sell outside of eBay policy makes it very very clear, too.

Buyers and sellers aren't allowed to use information they've obtained on eBay to contact each other to buy or sell off eBay. Sellers who listed an item on eBay must pay all fees for the eBay services they've used, even if the sale is completed off eBay (such as cash on delivery, pay on pickup, or paid by cheque or money order).

So... really, the only option - if you want to buy from small sellers whose annual turnover to Australian buyers is below the $75,000 threshold - is to find those sellers without asking through eBay for their details. You can certainly walk away from a transaction on eBay - by looking elsewhere before you go ahead and click the Buy Now button. But if you do Buy Now from an eBay seller, you will of course be obliged to proceed with the purchase through eBay in order to avoid an Unpaid Item Strike. If you don't mind having an Unpaid Item Strike, you can even walk away after hitting the Buy Now button, but I am certainly not advocating that. (Apart from anything else, that's so unfair on the sellers.)

Message 5 of 39
Latest reply

GST can of worms

^ Sure.. but look at what you have just posted... !

Do you really expect consumers to read through dozens of pages of fine print and disclaimers just to purchase a 10 dollar pair of socks?

With all due respect, your rules are not consumers problem - if they are so cumberosome, verbous and restrictive that consumers find out after the event, then never come back for a repeat purchase.....

When that happens, they are your problem... 

At the end of the day if you don't get this right, they will be ebay's problem... (when consumers leave)... Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 39
Latest reply

GST can of worms

anner1813, I'm not eBay! (I'm just a buyer/member here, the same as you.)

I have already reduced my purchasing through eBay, a few years ago, as a result of various changes that made it less convenient or lacking in range... I buy from many different platforms and many different sellers.

Message 7 of 39
Latest reply

GST can of worms

So your $10 pair of socks will now cost you $11 on ebay......if they are still cheaper than getting them from a local seller or B & M store then you have little to complain about.

Or you can see if that ebay seller has their own website and buy direct.

Message 8 of 39
Latest reply

GST can of worms

Sorry.. Sure..

The point I am making is really quite simple..

Ebay has had alot of time to get this GST transitition correct..

Where is the banner on the website (explaining what will happen and the issue to consumers?)

Where is the simple explanation? (that it is not ebay's "fault")?

Where are the discounts to maintain market share?

Why haven't they made the transaction process even simpler?

Why isn't there even a grace period to easlily cancel a purchase?

I actaully love ebay.. my purchase history is testimant to that!

I am simply giving them a heads up they need to lift their game! Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 39
Latest reply

GST can of worms

You don't read the news then?

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/07/01/09/54/gst-on-overseas-purchases

And the GST component is listed in checkout BEFORE you pay.

Don't like it?  Back out of it.

Ebay have allowed a 1 hour grace period to cancel any purchases.

I remember the annoucement, but am hard pressed to find it atm

Message 10 of 39
Latest reply