GUMTREE

Buyers Beware.  In January 2015 Paypal REMOVED its buyer protection for Gumtree shoppers.  

Bought a luxury brand item, paid with Paypal, a counterfeit arrived in the mail, lodged a Paypal claim and LOST because they have removed buyer and seller protection last month.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

GUMTREE

cq_tech
Community Member
It is only buyer protection which Paypal has abolished for sales on Gumtree.

I think you'll find that seller protection still applies.

Either way, it's as good a reason as any to avoid the place like the plague.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

GUMTREE

OMG thats awful!

I have had only two experiences with Gumtree both ending in disaster so I have never been back and dont intend to.

I really feel for you. Thats incredibly disappointing.

I might be way off base here, but would that not come under the heading of online fraud? There must be someway of getting some justice & your $ back.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

GUMTREE

I thought Gumtree was for local sales where you went and inspected the item before payng in cash?

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

GUMTREE

No, gumtree have added a PayPal Accepted icon and a lot of sellers now offer postage options.

I made a $1000 purchase on Gumtree a couple of weeks ago and paid with PayPal but I do always fund my PayPal payments by creditcard.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

GUMTREE

It is true that Paypal have removed all buyer protection with transactions from Gumtree.

Seller protection only covers unauthorised transactions (chargebacks) which makes sense if buyers don't have buyer protection anyway.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

GUMTREE

Paypal have come to the party today, because of my long history with them, they opened an appeal and granted my refund immediately.

Good old Paypal !

But I will NEVER purchase from Gumtree again.  Without that Buyer Protection, removed last month, any purchase will be at our own risk.  Please do warn others you know who might think, as I did, that using Paypal on Gumtree was as safe as houses.  Not any longer!

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

GUMTREE

Thats awesome! So they should.

Very happy for you! Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply