Gift Wrapping

As a regular buyer of a range of gifts for all occasions, for family and friends, I think it would be a great idea, if there was a gift wrapping service available from sellers.

Other online shopping sites offer this service, which is capped at a reasonable rate and available if the seller so desires to provide it, placing an icon within the purchasing section.

Having recently bought a gift for a young neice, it would have been much appreciated and money well spent to have it gift wrapped, over and above the fact that it arrives as a parcel anyway. 

It may create some employment, help increase cash flow and of course it would be viable to have it dependant on the size of the item.

Just a thought...

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Gift Wrapping

Gift Wrapping

I understand what you're saying, I like the idea and it's a great point. 

I send all my items out in a nice pouch ready for gifting, and have had a couple of customers ask if I will post direct to the recipient, in which case I don't include a packing slip/invoice & I know is against eBay/PayPal policy - but for me, it's all about Customer Service & having happy Buyers. 

One customer actually asked if I would include a note  to say who it was from & as it was a gift from Nana, I actually included a Nana charm with the bracelet as a Thank You gift.

For me it's relatively easy as I'm not a big Seller and my items are small, but I imagine it would be harder for big Sellers and those with varying size and large items - realistically, there would need to be a way within the system to 'Click' and pay a nominal extra fee for gift wrapping, but I'm pretty sure most smaller Sellers at least would accommodate such requests regardless.

Just my thoughts . . . . . . .   maybe not everyone would agree

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Gift Wrapping

It's a great idea in theory, but I wouldn't include it in my purchases. I like to check the item I've bought to make sure it is as described. Also, if there is an issue, the time for dispute might be passed before the recipient gets to open it. What if it arrives broken and it's not discovered until it's opened?

If I did do it, it would only be for new in sealed boxes from reputable sellers. I'll use a camera as an example (even though I only buy stuff like that locally).

It would still be worth suggesting to eBay though because I'm sure there would be plenty of buyers who would love to have their items gift wrapped, especially if they are getting the parcel sent straight to the recipient.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Gift Wrapping

As most of my items are sent large letter, I'm not covered anyway. If someone requested something to be sent to a different address, I'd send it. I would also gift wrap it if they asked. I have so much wrapping paper for all occasions laying around, I'd be glad to get rid of some!

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Gift Wrapping

axiomsense - I have to admit, when I first read the post I thought, OH. NO !!!  Now they want us to gift wrap things. #$%@ buyers !!! Once I got out of jaded, grumpy ebay seller mode and thought a bit more about it, I have to say it would be a great idea for some sellers. Ebayers need to be inovative and provide great service to stay viable and the gift wrapping idea could be a real bonus for gift type sellers. Its nice to see some constructive, well worded and thought out ideas on the forums. We tend to get bogged down in negativity at times. 

PS- welcome to the boards. I look forward to any other interesting thoughts you have to share.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Gift Wrapping

@chameleon54 wrote:

axiomsense - I have to admit, when I first read the post I thought, OH. NO !!!  Now they want us to gift wrap things. #$%@ buyers !!! Once I got out of jaded, grumpy ebay seller mode and thought a bit more about it, I have to say it would be a great idea for some sellers. Ebayers need to be inovative and provide great service to stay viable and the gift wrapping idea could be a real bonus for gift type sellers. Its nice to see some constructive, well worded and thought out ideas on the forums. We tend to get bogged down in negativity at times. 

PS- welcome to the boards. I look forward to any other interesting thoughts you have to share.

My items are also small - if a buyer says it is a gift - very happy to pouch it - at no extra cost.

My only concern is - as we saw parcels being literally chucked out of the Aust. Post. truck - the beautifully wrapped parcel - if not boxed - could arrive looking like a dog's brekky.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Gift Wrapping

I considered that when I was selling, but then I realised that the only way it would really be an easy and attractive idea to a buyer is if the item was being sent directly to the recipient of the gift.

Very few items are sent that way, and even if they are the seller is not always aware of it.

Offering this service would be quite time consuming and it was more effort than it was worth to me as around Xmas I was flat out.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Gift Wrapping

@2106greencat wrote:

I considered that when I was selling, but then I realised that the only way it would really be an easy and attractive idea to a buyer is if the item was being sent directly to the recipient of the gift.

Very few items are sent that way, and even if they are the seller is not always aware of it.

Offering this service would be quite time consuming and it was more effort than it was worth to me as around Xmas I was flat out.

And isn't there some rubbish about posting to the PP address or not covered.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Gift Wrapping

Just wondering - With the crazy new return policies, If someone buys a gift wrapped item and then returns it within 6 months, do they have to gift wrap it for the return     Smiley Very Happy .

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply