Global Shipping Program from the US.

I wish to make an offer on (or otherwise purchase) an item from the US. It is a delicate item (a bar mirror) and I asked the seller what care would be taken in packaging and delivery to Australia. They replied 'this is not our responsibility and you will have to ask this of the GSP' (PB) whose job it is deal with that side of the transaction. I haven't been able to contact the right people and was wondering what experience other buyers have of getting delicate goods (such as framed bar mirrors) shipped from the US, or whether I am just being too hopeful to expect that such an item might be freighted to Oz without damage or breakage? My only other alternative may be to contact a company like MyUS (as suggested by another buyer) and hope that they could package and deliver the item safely, however I have no experience at getting around the GSP and the seller wont budge from using the GSP. My only other GSP experience resulted in no item, no ability to pay due to an incomplete invoice and the seller lodging negative buyer remark about me to ebay as a result. I had to go through ebay Aust with screen dumps etc. to resolve the situation. I am soooo wary of dealing with the US by this method, however I would dearly like to purchase the item. Can anyone suggest other solutions. Thanks
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Global Shipping Program from the US.

IF you provide a US shipping address, the GSP doesn't come into it

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Just take the risk I am sure everything will be satisfactory. I have had a lot of items posted from the US without a problem. Good luck.
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

But have you had anything breakable like a mirror sent through the GSP Michelle?

There have been reports on the boards of Pitney Bowes just putting china and glassware into a box with minimal packaging and the items arrive broken.

The OP has good reason to be worried.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Correct Lyndal, I have read those reports and that does concern me. The seller has a good record and has to deliver the item to PB so I assume they would pack it well at their end, however it is what happens once it gets in transit and arrives in PB's hands and how they decide to treat it. Insurance coverage offers little comfort as the item is rare and not easily replaceable. The PB contract states they dont accept 'fine arts' but says nothing about 'fragile arts'. I suppose I just have to take the risk if I want it?
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

That is pretty much the story.

However you should know that Pitney Bowes is a law unto themselves as regards what they will and will not ship to Australia.  As an example they have a blanket ban on knives even though most knives are not prohibited items in Australia.

The unfortunate part is that they do not tell you that the items will not be shipped....the first you know of it is when your item does not arrive and you start to ask questions.

The seller is not at fault and they have automatic coverage for tracking anf insurance....the seller cannot help you at all.

Confiscated items are not returned to the seller....they are sold by PB in their ebay shop.

If you can use a US postal address I would advise you to do so.....at least you should get your item.

Good luck!!

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Once the item arrives at the Kentucky GSP hub it is the responsibility of the GSP shippers to get it to you safely. or to refund you. It is in their interest to see that it is suitably packed and handled.In this they are are no different from other forwarders, although claims for broken items tend to be dealt with easily and with no quibbles if you do it right. Admittedly, finding out how to do it right is a bit of a trick.

Large and heavy items like this are what the GSP is suitable for. It is advisable to check if it is not too large or too heavy to be shipped that way.

Very large numbers of sellers use the GSP for items that are quite unsuitable, and are rightly slagged off. In this case it is probably your best choice.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Once the item arrives at the Kentucky GSP hub it is the responsibility of the GSP shippers to get it to you safely. or to refund you. It is in their interest to see that it is suitably packed and handled.In this they are are no different from other forwarders, although claims for broken items tend to be dealt with easily and with no quibbles if you do it right. Admittedly, finding out how to do it right is a bit of a trick.

Large and heavy items like this are what the GSP is suitable for. It is advisable to check if it is not too large or too heavy to be shipped that way.

Very large numbers of sellers use the GSP for items that are quite unsuitable, and are rightly slagged off. In this case it is probably your best choice.

Agree totally. I bought a large, heavy, very fragile item from the US 2 years ago that came via the GSP. That was the first time I'd ever encountered it. It cost around 1/3 of the cost of what it would have cost to come via First Class International. It arrived 6 days after I paid.

Smaller items going via GSP I avoid like the plague.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Ok, well good arguments for and against thanks. I am just ever so slightly reassured by your comments at this stage, and I did end up purchasing the item. As of today it had just left the GSP Centre at Erldanger on the international leg of its journey....so here's hoping and praying. Will let you know the positive result, many thanks.
Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

When I did a bit of reading up on the GSP a little while back I learned a few things. Main one being that large, heavy items are far better being sent that way because it's far cheaper. Smaller items are usually ridiculously expensive. However, if the seller puts the weight of the item in, it spits out a more reasonable price.

For example, Seller A is selling a spanner that weighs 50g and doesn't insert the weight into the postage section, so the international buyer might see a postage quote of $45. Seller B is selling the same spanner but does put the weight of 50g in, so the international buyer will see a much lower postage quote of say $15.

Problem is, a lot of sellers don't know to do that. There are also quite a number of sellers who don't even know they are using the GSP, so would have no reason to do it.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply