Global Shipping Program put into perspective.

Here are a few tips that can make the GSP more palatable or explainable for buyers.

1.  If the GSP postage is very high compared to USPS or Royal Mail from the UK. Ask the seller to input dimensions and weight into the listing - this will usually drop the postage rate significantly (though not on heavy parcels where the GSP is usually the cheapest option anyway).

2. If multiple items are being bought as a BIN, ask the seller to make one listing of all the items so that they can be sent together and not incur multiple postage charges,

3. It's also possible to ask the seller to opt out of the GSP and send by their normal carrier - they may not want to do this as it reduces their seller protection significantly.

4. eBay opts sellers into the GSP by default, so they may well be unaware that they are even posting overseas since all they will see as a shipping address is their countrie's GSP shipping hub. Often if the buyer sends a screen shot of the postage amount they will be amenable to enact the steps above.

5. Long delivery times?  Nothing much can be done about that buyers just have to be aware that sometimes parcels will do a scenic trip of the seller's country before being processed.

6. Pitney Bowes (GSP) will confiscate a number of items that they deem to be prohibited exports, these include any knife (even a butter knife), guitars, drums etc.  When they confiscate these the buyer will have to jump through hoops to get their money back from Pitney Bowes, while Pitney Bowes will put those item up for sale on their own eBay sites.

7. Pitney Bowes will often but not always repack items, so if the item is fragile maybe think twice about it and look for a different seller of that item, if the seller won't opt out of the GSP for you.

The GSP isn't necessarily the draconian monster that some members here portray it as, if some of the steps above are implemented.

I don't have the opt-out procedure to hand so if any members do have it could they post the steps here please.

Apologies for the long post, but getting an honest perspective of the GSP to my mind is more important than arbitrarily shooting the system down, and not giving the other side of the story.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 1 of 92
Latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Re: Global Shipping Program put into perspective.

Almost slid off the first page.

Message 71 of 92
Latest reply

... and again

Message 72 of 92
Latest reply

I think bumping this thread only serves to remind a certain person to bump all the other threads on the subject.
Message 73 of 92
Latest reply

I don't think he needs any reminders.  If there is nothing at the top of the page he trawls back to the very beginnings of the GSP to resurrect anything that gives him an opportunity to whinge.Smiley Frustrated

At least this way new posters can see that there is another perspective.

Message 74 of 92
Latest reply

@readers of the thread

Some "perspective-worthy" points.

🔗eBay's GSP page. (Interested persons / buyers of GSP items should read this.)

❝The listing will give an estimate of postage and processing charges, but these – as well as any applicable GST – can't be finalised until you confirm your delivery details at checkout. You'll see the charges and the final total before you pay for your order.

You need to use PayPal for Global Shipping Program items, and your payment will be split into two or three transactions:

• The first payment goes to the seller. It covers the item price and any domestic postage costs for the seller to send the item to the global shipping provider.
  • The second payment goes to the global shipping provider. It covers the international postage cost and any import charges for orders over AU $1,000.
  • For orders up to AU $1,000, a third payment goes to eBay. It covers the GST, which eBay remits directly to the Australian Tax Office.

After you've completed payment, you'll be able to see both the total cost, the amounts paid to the seller and the global shipping provider, as well as any applicable GST on the Order details page.❞

Drawbacks for buyers:

• The GSP does not provide priority shipping, even though eBay gives the impression that it does. It is a slow postage method, and once the parcel (finally) reaches Australia after being despatched from Pitney Bowes' warehouse in Erlanger, Kentucky, I understand that it is delivered domestically by FedEX (FedEX Economy Service). Expect items to take about 3 weeks in normal conditions. Their timeframe could well be longer over the Christmas period.

• Anecdotally, it's not possible for sellers to combine items if they are sending under the GSP. That means separate GSP fees for each item, which can be hefty.
    HOWEVER... according to both the US GSP FAQs and UK GSP FAQs, combining items and giving a combined item discount should actually be possible under certain conditions.
    Spoiler
    US - eBay.com. Global Shipping Program. Frequently Asked Questions.
    Why can't I combine shipping?
    Import fees and shipping charges vary from category to category, and from item to item. Therefore, each Global Shipping Program transaction must be treated on an individual basis to ensure that the proper import fees and shipping charges are applied. However, items can sometimes be shipped together if:

All items from a single GSP order should be shipped in one box whenever possible. Items from a single order can sometimes be packaged separately to ensure secure transit, and to stay within the weight and dimension limits specified in the Program.

Why can't I offer a combined shipping discount?
    At this time sellers are not able to offer combined shipping discounts on GSP orders. However, when a buyer pays for 2 or more items from a seller through GSP, the international shipping cost is a combined cost for the full order. Combining costs in this way can save buyers money on import charges.❞

Spoiler
    UK - eBay.com. Global Shipping Program. Frequently Asked Questions.
    Can I offer combined postage discounts?
    At this time, seller-specified combined postage discounts aren’t supported by the Global Shipping Programme. However, a combined postage discount for the international leg of the delivery will automatically be applied during checkout when the buyer places all items in their shopping basket prior to making a purchase.

How do I package a multiple-item order when posting to the same buyer?
    If your buyer buys multiple items from you as part of the same transaction, you can package the items together in the same box. However, if the same buyer makes several purchases (multiple transactions), package and post each item separately to avoid customs related complications. Follow best practices when posting multiple items and boxes.❞
  • Pitney Bowes will unpack and inspect your items, and in many cases they repack (demonstrably in several examples to the detriment of the item's safe transport, although the GSP T&Cs of the UK (not the US, as far as I can see) do state that they will repack adequately).
    Spoiler
    ❝Pitney Bowes is authorized to open and inspect any GSP Item without notice.❞

Spoiler
    UK - eBay.com. Global Shipping Program. Frequently Asked Questions.
    I sell delicate/breakable items which require special packaging to ensure they are not damaged in transit. How will my items be re-packed when they reach the UK Shipping Centre?

Not every parcel will be opened, but if it is, Pitney Bowes will ensure it gets repackaged appropriately.❞

• If Pitney Bowes deem your item to contravene an import or export law - even if you quote the relevant information directly from Australian Customs website - they will not ship it.
    Spoiler
    ❝eBay and Pitney Bowes shall have no liability and shall have, in their discretion and in any manner that they prefer, the right to dispose of or liquidate GSP Items that eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude are undeliverable, for whatever reason. If eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude that a GSP Item is undeliverable and elect to dispose of or liquidate a GSP Item, title to the GSP Item shall transfer automatically from your Seller to eBay and/or any third party designated by either eBay or Pitney Bowes (as eBay and Pitney Bowes may elect), at no cost and for no consideration to either eBay or Pitney Bowes and/or to any third party designated by eBay or Pitney Bowes, and eBay and Pitney Bowes and/or any third party designated by eBay or Pitney Bowes shall retain all proceeds (if any) received from the disposal or liquidation of the GSP Item.❞
  • In previous times, buyers report being left bewildered about where their item was and why on earth it was deemed by PB not to be able to be shipped, and having desperately to try getting in touch with PB, with eBay, with PayPal, etc., until after a long fight they could get the appropriate refund. I understand it is automatic now - with one caveat (next bullet point).
    Spoiler
    Payment Reversals. . If eBay, Pitney Bowes, or Pitney Bowes's service providers determine, after you have purchased a GSP Item, that the GSP Item is ineligible for GSP or cannot be shipped to you (for whatever reason), eBay and its affiliates shall have the right to cancel your purchase in lieu of proceeding with the processing and/or shipment of the GSP Item and, upon exercising this right, may reverse the PayPal payment that you made to your Seller and to Pitney Bowes for the GSP Item and will process the GSP Item as an undeliverable item.❞
  • If there's a problem with your item and you wish to send it back to the seller for a refund, you will not be refunded any portion of the fees that went to Pitney Bowes.
    Spoiler
    International Returns. The returns policy specified by your Seller in his/her listing description of a GSP Item will apply to your purchase of the GSP Item. For GSP Items located in the United States that you purchase under GSP and that you return to your Seller, you will not be eligible for, and you will not receive, a refund of any Program Fees that you paid to Pitney Bowes and Pitney Bowes will not be responsible for shipping the GSP Item back to your Seller. Your rights under local law will not be affected.❞
  • You will assume risk of loss or damage once the package has left the Shipping Centre/Center on its way for export. Your seller has no risk of loss once the parcel has been received by PB. If your parcel can be tracked to Erlanger (GSP from the US), or Fradley Park, LICHFIELD, Staffordshire (GSP from the UK). I understand that PB use wnDirect as a service provider, to forward shipments abroad.
    Spoiler
    Risk of Loss. The risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall remain with your Seller until the GSP Item is accepted at the US or UK Shipping Center or has been returned to your Seller by Pitney Bowes from the US or UK Shipping Center. Subject to any statutory rights you may have, the risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall transfer to you when the GSP Item leaves the US or UK Shipping Center for export. ❞
  • The GSP won't deliver to PO Box addresses.

• Fees for using the GSP as a buyer can be outrageously high. This is partly due to sellers not knowing how to input the correct weight and dimensions information into their listing; the default details are for a large item, I believe. PB will not refund any portion even if the item is deemed to be shipped with significantly smaller dimensions than the default setting. However, where a listing does include the correct weight and dimensions information, the GSP fee may be on a par with other comparable tracked postage methods.

• PB charge an administrative fee for collecting GST from purchases with an Australian delivery address. It seems (although it is not stated) that this is not illegal outside Australia, although it is certainly not permitted to be charged by Australian companies. (There is, I believe, a GST charge added to that administrative fee.)

Benefits for buyers:

• The GSP allows buyers to purchase from sellers whose items would otherwise not be available for them to purchase (unless the buyer specified a US parcel forwarding address). Some US/UK sellers do not want to fill out customs declarations or have anything to do with paperwork relevent to shipping to Australia. Some US/UK sellers just don't want to send overseas. Some US/UK sellers will only risk posting overseas if they are protected by eBay to the hilt. (The GSP does protect sellers.)

• The GSP is, I understand, very good value when shipping larger heavier items.

• Where a listing does include the correct weight and dimensions information, the GSP fee for smaller lighter items may be on a par with other comparable tracked postage methods.

• The item will be trackable.

• As the GSP stands currently, you may have protection under eBay's MBG and also under PayPal. (However, the payment to PB is not refundable.)

You should reaad through the eBay.com.au Global Shipping Program: Buyer Terms & Conditions. If you purchase from a seller who's opted in to the GSP, then you must agree with the terms. (Check the T&Cs before buying.)

Something often missed: Non-Commercial Use. Any GSP Item that you purchase must be for the personal use or consumption of the designated recipient and not for commercial resale purposes.❞

Message 75 of 92
Latest reply

Thanks for bringing that info over to this thread countess..................original.gif

Message 76 of 92
Latest reply

A lot of what I posted in that post is information you've already stated in your opening post, padi!

onitsway.gif  onitsway.gif onitsway.gif

But sometimes it can add gravitas to the points made when there's a nice handy clickable spoiler containing the relevant quotation...

Spoiler
Ohh.... I would kill for some meat, camembert, artisan bread, and chocolate. cheesedream.gifBut I'm in a pre-Christmas diet mode and I'm being tough with myself. girl_cray2-aiwan.gif
Message 77 of 92
Latest reply

"Ohh.... I would kill for some meat, camembert, artisan bread, and chocolate. cheesedream.gifBut I'm in a pre-Christmas diet mode and I'm being tough with myself. girl_cray2-aiwan.gif"

Luckily we are now in 2019 so let yourself go !!!!

Due to the continued interest in camembert, artisan bread, and chocolate the GSP I thought it would be appropriate to bump this thread countess.....................

Message 78 of 92
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

"Ohh.... I would kill for some meat, camembert, artisan bread, and chocolate. cheesedream.gifBut I'm in a pre-Christmas diet mode and I'm being tough with myself. girl_cray2-aiwan.gif"

Luckily we are now in 2019 so let yourself go !!!!

Due to the continued interest in camembert, artisan bread, and chocolate the GSP I thought it would be appropriate to bump this thread countess.....................

I went to the local bowling club tonight. No, I'm not that freaking old, but they have an awesome buffet. A whole menu of Chinese food, including entrees and mains. Several different types of breads. 3 different roasts with all the trimmings. A cold seafood buffet (I want to marry the prawns and smoked salmon!). A salad bar. Desserts, OMG, the desserts.....both hot and cold. Plus there was other stuff that I forget.

Who needs to worry about the bloody GSP when you've got the best buffet in the country at your local bowling club?!

I agree with Padi. It's 2019 now. Christmas is done. Lash out. Be bold. Just do it.

Message 79 of 92
Latest reply

Oh, I have already succumbed to the alluring blandishments of some very, very good camembert.

Lead me to the smoked salmon!

Message 80 of 92
Latest reply