Global Shipping Program put into perspective.

Here are a few tips that can make the GSP more palatable or explainable for buyers.

1.  If the GSP postage is very high compared to USPS or Royal Mail from the UK. Ask the seller to input dimensions and weight into the listing - this will usually drop the postage rate significantly (though not on heavy parcels where the GSP is usually the cheapest option anyway).

2. If multiple items are being bought as a BIN, ask the seller to make one listing of all the items so that they can be sent together and not incur multiple postage charges,

3. It's also possible to ask the seller to opt out of the GSP and send by their normal carrier - they may not want to do this as it reduces their seller protection significantly.

4. eBay opts sellers into the GSP by default, so they may well be unaware that they are even posting overseas since all they will see as a shipping address is their countrie's GSP shipping hub. Often if the buyer sends a screen shot of the postage amount they will be amenable to enact the steps above.

5. Long delivery times?  Nothing much can be done about that buyers just have to be aware that sometimes parcels will do a scenic trip of the seller's country before being processed.

6. Pitney Bowes (GSP) will confiscate a number of items that they deem to be prohibited exports, these include any knife (even a butter knife), guitars, drums etc.  When they confiscate these the buyer will have to jump through hoops to get their money back from Pitney Bowes, while Pitney Bowes will put those item up for sale on their own eBay sites.

7. Pitney Bowes will often but not always repack items, so if the item is fragile maybe think twice about it and look for a different seller of that item, if the seller won't opt out of the GSP for you.

The GSP isn't necessarily the draconian monster that some members here portray it as, if some of the steps above are implemented.

I don't have the opt-out procedure to hand so if any members do have it could they post the steps here please.

Apologies for the long post, but getting an honest perspective of the GSP to my mind is more important than arbitrarily shooting the system down, and not giving the other side of the story.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 1 of 92
Latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Off topic Tippy and countess, but the local river market has a lady that sells totally awesome cranberry cakes.

And 'cos they've got no currants in them the doggies can have a small piece.....................maybe.................

Spoiler
In fact I'm gonna have some right now.......................................

Message 81 of 92
Latest reply

Why? A flexible system woiuld adjust postage after purchase. If a different (registered with Ebay) address is used why cannot the postage be calculated then? This just shows how limited and narrow a vision can be.

US domestic sellers sometimes only want a US address for various reasons.  No problem as I have a friend who acts as an agent.

Security concerns are minimised and the transaction is much simpler for the seller. If I am bidding on 10 items overnight I cannot go into Ebay and change for each item and, sometimes the items may be finishing at a similar time.

Why cannot the system be flexible?

Message 82 of 92
Latest reply

What post of Tippy's were you referring to when you bumped this post ?????

Message 83 of 92
Latest reply

Who know's padi ?

Don't purchase when GSP is the logistics co used or if it is just desperate they have item, ask seller if they will consider changing for that item

It is not freaking rocket science and there are so many replies to the ALL of the GSP threads that I can't believe they couldn't find an anwser amongst them all - just an excuse to whinge again....

and again....

and again......

and again

TSFE

Message 84 of 92
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

What post of Tippy's were you referring to when you bumped this post ?????

In case it helps - "in reply to" links to the post being replied to 🙂 

Message 85 of 92
Latest reply

Thanks Digi, I seem to learn something new her every day.  original.gif

Message 86 of 92
Latest reply

Seriously Padi?         You knew that.

You just forgot.           slapface.gif

Message 87 of 92
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Seriously Padi?         You knew that.

Nope Stawks...............original.gif

Message 88 of 92
Latest reply

Is there a link to Pitney Bowes ebay site? We sent some carburettors which had been reconditioned to USA and they prohibited them and confiscated them. I'd like to see if we can buy them back

Message 89 of 92
Latest reply