Hi, I am buying from Australia. What are "import charges", how much should the charges be?

gooh2
Community Member

Hi, I am buying from Australia. What are "import charges"? How much should the charges be? (what % of the sale price?).

Where does the money go?

Why do some sellers have an "import charge" listed and some don't for similiar items?

Thank you for any info.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Hi, I am buying from Australia. What are "import charges", how much should the charges

There are no import charges if you are buying from an Australian seller. If a listing says anything about import charges then you are purchasing from an overseas seller and the item has GST and GSP charges added. The GST is collected and sent to the governemnet and the import charges cover any other charges that Pitney bowes may have to pay on your behalf and the costs involved with collecting them.

Latest reply

Re: Hi, I am buying from Australia. What are "import charges", how much should the charges

'Import charges' in a listing means the seller is using the Global Shippintg System.

This is a third party company who the seller posts to, in their own country. The GSP then completes any necessary paperwork and sends the item to you. They charge for their service, charge GST on their charges (including what they claim is the cost of collecting and remitting the GST to the Australian government).

It is an expensive, inefficient system but, depending on what you're buying, it could well be the only way to get a seller to post to Australia. The seller protection is very strong. As long as the item arrives at the GSP depot, the seller is covered.

For further information, have a look at the many threads on this board about the GSP.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Hi and thanks I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.

Thanks for the very clear info you have given me.

Yes I'd say the import charges are excessively expensive, as you say they charge for the cost of collecting and remitting as well

as what the 10% GST would be.

Thanks again, I'm clear on it now.

All the best....

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Hi thanks a lot for getting back to me.

Yes I have found out in between from another reply that a seller using the GSP, charges the import charge and any other overseas sellers if not using the GSP you won't see an import charge. And as you say there is no import charge on Aus to Aus sales.

Many thanks you are all a great help.

Much appreciated.

Cheers....

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

ozzzzie
Community Member

Its very strange actually.

It seems like literally overnight just about everyone in the US is no longer using USP service and now use this global post system.

Its put me off buying a few items already

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

The reason for this is that ebay opted most US sellers into the GSP system and many of them have no idea that they are now using it even if they are willing to send via the USPS.

All I can suggest is if you want to buy from a seller who is using it is to ask BEFORE you buy if they will use USPS.....some will agree, some will not.   But do not wait till after you have purchsed as the seller cannot change the postal service after the purchase.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

ajvelo69
Community Member

Well its illegal to charge GST from  goods from a private seller  (not a business)

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@ajvelo69 wrote:

Well its illegal to charge GST from  goods from a private seller  (not a business)

It is perfectly legal for eBay to charge GST on sales. Indeed the tax department would be chasing them if they didn't charge it.................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply