How is Ebay calculating the GST on purchases sent to Australia?

I have noticed    that the amount being added to purchases   for "import charges" is  far more than the 10% GST now levied on items sold into Australia 

Here are  just two  examples I encountered tonight. In both cases the "GST"   or "Import Charges" is far more than the    legal rate of 10%. How is this being calculated and who is getting the additional money?

Item (1) US $42.99 Postage US $23.50 GST US $6.65
Order total US $73.14

Items (5) US $112.75 Postage US $31.16 Import charges US $19.67
Order total US $163.58
Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@bigboxcollector62 wrote:

Aussies are happy to pay taxes, they're just **bleep** off from their previous experiences, I look at Ebay the same way I use to look at Steam, exact same product but charge Aussies an extra 15% because why not? digital product, exact same cost to distribute, but throw on 15% because we can. 

GSP is cancerous, 20-30% more for postal costs for an Aussie buyer, and the service is putrid, half the items i buy have been re-packed by GSP and some damaged because of it. 

Happy to pay the normal GST, but why do aussies have aded costs relating to GST? are any other countrys affected by this scam (service charge)? 

Remember that class action lawsuit that the banks lost for over-charging ? sounds familiar... 

Wasn't an ultra rare DVD/video tape was it?

No titpty toes, it was me who had the damage to the very rare dvd set (which seller had one extra rare copy to replace) and me who had near damage to the ultra rare VHS OOP tapes that were still factory sealed. Also had annoying delivery issues.

Spoiler
Of course you knew that but you're in a bit of a mischeivous kind of mood I dare say Smiley Wink
Message 31 of 33
Latest reply

With the introduction of the GST of 10% on goods over $1000AUD the ebay community are getting ripped off and charged more than the 10per cent. As confirmed by other members your are getting as a rule of thumb charged from 15 to 19 per cent as GST component on international transactions.Thank you Australia Government and Pitney Bowe et al.

Message 32 of 33
Latest reply

@justcobra wrote:

With the introduction of the GST of 10% on goods over under $1000AUD the ebay community are getting ripped off and charged more than the 10per cent. As confirmed by other members your are getting as a rule of thumb charged from 15 to 19 per cent as GST component on international transactions.Thank you Australia Government and Pitney Bowe et al.

the use of Global Shipping does add to the costs involved in buying items from the UK and USA.  However, the GST component is ALWAYS 10%.

The charges that are over and above the 10% GST on the item include the domestic shipping to get the item to PB, the PB costs/charges in preparing the item for customs clearance here in Australia, the GST on the shipping and PB charges.  PB then bundles all these costs/charges and the GST on the item together under the banner of ‘Import Charges’.

In my experience, for low cost items the Import Charge is higher than 10% due to the add-on costs involved in the transaction.  For higher priced items the Import Charge, as a %, will be lower than that on low cost items, but always above 10% due to the add-on charges.

Message 33 of 33
Latest reply