How to protect against fraudulent transactions

I have recently had an attempt of a person using the name *SHADYRHAKIM trying to withdraw a huge ammount of money from my credit card. Fortunately the transaction ( Unique Transaction ID 61J618231W712010E $2,242.81 ) was refused by paypal.

What else apart from using strong passwords etc, do I need to do to prevent this happening from future "SHADY" people trying to rip us off??

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: How to protect against fraudulent transactions

Firstly, you should contact the bank that issued your credit card and get that credit card cancelled and they will send you out a new replacement card (which will have new numbers).

'Shadyrh.' to use your existing card again now they have obtained your cc details.
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

* may try to use.

Using credit cards online and internet banking does expose us to fraudsters.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I would inform Paypal about it also. Call them and tell them all the details. They do take this onboard.  I recently had a spam email telling me about "so called fraudulent activity" happening. Called Paypal and told them and they are following it up. It all helps. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

the best way to protect yourself against fraudulent activity leading to loss of funds from your credit card is to open a credit card account that is just for your eBay/PayPal activity.  Keep the limit on the credit card high enough to allow you to buy items but not so high as to provide great losses if your account is hacked.

Having an account, whether it is a savings account, debit card account or credit card account, will quarantine your main source of daily funds from scammers/fraudsters.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

For the attempt to be made the scammer would probably have had to have got hold of your Paypal password, probably because you have clicked on a ling in a phishing email or they have managed to download a keylogger virus to your computer. I hope you have run an in depth security chack on your computer and have changed all passwords connected to any site that contains personal or financial information.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply