I bought a mini metal lathe and it failed electrically. Have contacted the seller but no answer.

The lathe has a 2 year warranty but the seller is not giving any assistance to have the lathe repaired.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I bought a mini metal lathe and it failed electrically. Have contacted the seller but no answer.

If you paid by PayPal you have 180 days to open a case in PayPal for INAD.

If they are in China, best to get a refund and find a better quality product.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Was the seller registered in Australia and also a licenced re-seller of the product?

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

If you paid by PayPal you have 180 days to open a case in PayPal for INAD.

If they are in China, best to get a refund and find a better quality product.

image host
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

@hippo1987

I bought my father a cello bow a few years ago. He'd just survived 3 months in ICU after almost losing his life, so even though he said that he just wanted a reasonably good bow but nothing outstanding - that a bow from any one of the Chinese sellers on eBay would be fine - I was still very much in that mental zone of nothing being too good for him...

He purchased a bow from a Chinese seller, as he'd threatened stated, but at least he allowed me to warn him away from the most obvious poor quality bows or fake bows, and from the sellers that I thought looked most likely to be stringing buyers along. (Call it a gut feeling.)

His bow arrived - not an awful bow, and he jubilantly compared the bow to the one I purchased for him (from a Romanian instrument-maker). But once he'd recovered enough to start playing again over the next months, he found himself reaching far more frequently for the bow I gave him rather than the one he bought on eBay. The balance is immeasurably superior; the quality is very good; it brings forth richer, sweeter sounds on the cello.

He found also that the bow hairs on the Chinese bow show so much wear and tear within a 5 month period (even with infrequent use) that the bow looks like a post-practice 2CELLOS discard. It's not worth rehairing, although dad did try to get in touch with the seller who had indeed offered what looked to him like a good warranty period. There's no surprise ending here; the seller never responded to the polite communication.

The bottom line: while many Chinese sellers on eBay offer enticing warranty periods and promises, such a warranty is unenforceable and about as trustworthy as the "0 grams of sugar" statement on a pack of Tic Tacs.

As has been said, buy from Australian sellers (businesses) if a warranty is something that you need with regard to your purchase, or if there's any chance of the item ceasing to function or failing, or turning out after a while not to be fit for its intended purpose, etc.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply