I have paid for a trim kit from UK company in October 2017 , over au $5000.00

I paid au $ 5000.00 for a trim kit from a UK company in October 2017 , received very little of the item ,constant comunication with the seller and after many excuses for the delay I have now come to a dead end . Is there any person that can advise me what to do ? The ebay resolution center is no help as the transation was too long ago . Help please ? .

johns6208

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

The "sale" was over a year  ago now so there is nothing you can do via eBay/Paypal/bank chargeback dispute processes. You've lost your money I'm afraid.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Why on earth did you leave it so long.

You have 6 months in PayPal for a resolution case but to wait 13 months ?

An expensive lesson learnt, besides I would never consider giving that kind of money online, only after I have inspected the items when picking up.

image host

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@johns6208,

More than a year in waiting for an expensive purchase to arrive?

You have behaved like a scammer's target because you allowed yourself to be strung along with what you acknowledge were "many excuses for the delay". Just because a seller gives you "constant communication" does not mean that you can feel confident about a purchase; what matters is receiving the item in a timely manner.

Can you "follow" the seller concerned? Click onto the seller's userid from any of their listings, and this leads you to the seller's My World page. There you will see
      Save.

Click onto the heart; the seller will be saved so that what they are selling will show in your eBay Feed (in other words, you will be following the seller). Members who click onto your My eBay page will see who you are following, and this can be useful with regard to the seller.

For future purposes, you should be aware of all timeframes (the timeframe for opening a dispute under the eBay Money Back Guarantee, and - crucially - the PayPal dispute timeframe is 180 days). Do not allow yourself to be conned into waiting even one second beyond those timeframes, because the dispute timeframes are not flexible by so much as a nanosecond, and to be on the safe side, you are best off opening a dispute (if necessary) about a week prior to the deadline.

In this case, I think that it's very likely nothing can be done now to get your money back. The only thing I can suggest is that you contact your card provider and see whether it's possible at this late stage to do a chargeback. You should be super-polite, and express how upset you are, and explain that the seller kept in touch with you so that you had reason to suppose that the order would be fulfilled. You only now realise that you should never had trusted the seller with such a delay.

(It's a long shot, but give it a try. Record the call (as per this post).)

Also - you may want to contact the seller once last time. This should be done in the most official way you can manage. The substance of the communication should be that you request a refund to be actioned within 48 hours, or you will be reporting the seller to ACORN. If you don't receive a response or refund within 48 hours, immediately make a report to ACORN.

I hope that those actions will give you some closure (even if you don't get your money back, although of course I hope that you do), and that in future you will take steps to protect yourself with online purchases. You have remedies, but they are time-sensitive, and you can't let yourself be delayed beyond the required timeframes.

So... in summary, please do ALL of the following:

• Follow the seller (and post here as soon as you have done this; there might be extra information that responders here can glean, and based on that there might be some other things you can do);
  • Call your card provider;
  • Contact the seller with final demand for refund and stating that they have 48 hours before you report them to ACORN; and
  • Report seller to ACORN.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

brerrabitt and davewil, I knew I'd heard of at least one instance where ACORN were informed of a cybercrime where the fraudster was an overseas seller. ACORN can pass on details to international law enforcement bodies. Quoting:

“We need to check that the ACORN can take your report

What country do you reside in?

What country do you believe the suspect resides in?

Many cybercrime incidents are perpetrated by offenders overseas, outside of Australian law enforcement jurisdiction. Details for such incidents may be passed on to overseas authorities for intelligence purposes, and overseas authorities may investigate where possible.

As international purchasing continues to grow, I anticipate seeing more in the way of international co-operation with investigations of scams - although I might be wrong; it might all become more insular. There are certainly examples of international treaties and agreements which are being stomped on at the moment!

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

The seller is still promising to deliver ! Yes I have been gullible ,lesson learnt .

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Thank You very much for the advice ,, I admit to being very gullible in aggepting the sellers excuses , I shall learn from this , although a very expensive one . Thank You .

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The "sale" was over a year  ago now so there is nothing you can do via eBay/Paypal/bank chargeback dispute processes. You've lost your money I'm afraid.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Why on earth did you leave it so long.

You have 6 months in PayPal for a resolution case but to wait 13 months ?

An expensive lesson learnt, besides I would never consider giving that kind of money online, only after I have inspected the items when picking up.

image host
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@johns6208,

More than a year in waiting for an expensive purchase to arrive?

You have behaved like a scammer's target because you allowed yourself to be strung along with what you acknowledge were "many excuses for the delay". Just because a seller gives you "constant communication" does not mean that you can feel confident about a purchase; what matters is receiving the item in a timely manner.

Can you "follow" the seller concerned? Click onto the seller's userid from any of their listings, and this leads you to the seller's My World page. There you will see
      Save.

Click onto the heart; the seller will be saved so that what they are selling will show in your eBay Feed (in other words, you will be following the seller). Members who click onto your My eBay page will see who you are following, and this can be useful with regard to the seller.

For future purposes, you should be aware of all timeframes (the timeframe for opening a dispute under the eBay Money Back Guarantee, and - crucially - the PayPal dispute timeframe is 180 days). Do not allow yourself to be conned into waiting even one second beyond those timeframes, because the dispute timeframes are not flexible by so much as a nanosecond, and to be on the safe side, you are best off opening a dispute (if necessary) about a week prior to the deadline.

In this case, I think that it's very likely nothing can be done now to get your money back. The only thing I can suggest is that you contact your card provider and see whether it's possible at this late stage to do a chargeback. You should be super-polite, and express how upset you are, and explain that the seller kept in touch with you so that you had reason to suppose that the order would be fulfilled. You only now realise that you should never had trusted the seller with such a delay.

(It's a long shot, but give it a try. Record the call (as per this post).)

Also - you may want to contact the seller once last time. This should be done in the most official way you can manage. The substance of the communication should be that you request a refund to be actioned within 48 hours, or you will be reporting the seller to ACORN. If you don't receive a response or refund within 48 hours, immediately make a report to ACORN.

I hope that those actions will give you some closure (even if you don't get your money back, although of course I hope that you do), and that in future you will take steps to protect yourself with online purchases. You have remedies, but they are time-sensitive, and you can't let yourself be delayed beyond the required timeframes.

So... in summary, please do ALL of the following:

• Follow the seller (and post here as soon as you have done this; there might be extra information that responders here can glean, and based on that there might be some other things you can do);
  • Call your card provider;
  • Contact the seller with final demand for refund and stating that they have 48 hours before you report them to ACORN; and
  • Report seller to ACORN.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Does ACORN cover international purchases?
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Unlikely. Unless they pass it to Interpol. Again unlikely.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

brerrabitt and davewil, I knew I'd heard of at least one instance where ACORN were informed of a cybercrime where the fraudster was an overseas seller. ACORN can pass on details to international law enforcement bodies. Quoting:

“We need to check that the ACORN can take your report

What country do you reside in?

What country do you believe the suspect resides in?

Many cybercrime incidents are perpetrated by offenders overseas, outside of Australian law enforcement jurisdiction. Details for such incidents may be passed on to overseas authorities for intelligence purposes, and overseas authorities may investigate where possible.

As international purchasing continues to grow, I anticipate seeing more in the way of international co-operation with investigations of scams - although I might be wrong; it might all become more insular. There are certainly examples of international treaties and agreements which are being stomped on at the moment!

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

The seller is still promising to deliver ! Yes I have been gullible ,lesson learnt .
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Thank You very much for the advice ,, I admit to being very gullible in aggepting the sellers excuses , I shall learn from this , although a very expensive one . Thank You .

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply