I'm being asked to disassemble an item to find out what's wrong. Yes? No?

An item arrived broken. Again. Déjà freakin vu. Was exceptionally well packaged so I'm ruling out transport damage at this point unless it's copped a drop from height (it's a very robust item but clearly internally damaged). Seller has asked me to take it in for a repair quote but the closest place is 1000km away and $100/hr plus parts so they've now asked me to open it myself and have a look.

I'm competent/capable but is this a good idea? If they've asked in writing does this written request cover me in the event it inevitably becomes a return or dispute? They've even sent a video link with tutorial on disassembly.

Yes? No? Thoughts?
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

However if the seller then turns around in a case and states it's been tampered with, I wouldn't trust a call centre rep's word on that.

Besides you shouldn't need to waste any time or stress on opening up a machine.

I also wouldn't accept if the item becomes repaired after damage from transit.

Refund or new unit. Seller can claim the other with the carrier. That's the norm.

image host
Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

is it an electrical item?  If yes, is it cordless or plug-in?

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Not electrical. Vintage wind up military clock. A return is fine in theory but return post cost will exceed purchase cost. While it's not my cost to bear it's still an out of pocket until it's reimbursed a month later.

I agree it's not up to me to muck around or invest time and effort however if a non return solution can be reached it's better for all. I would have spent time cleaning it for sale and I'll certainly spend more time effort and agro returning it if the last return is anything to go by.

Kopes going by what the clock guy said parts are the issue if broken or worn and need to be custom made there's serious cost in that so uneconomical to fix.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

i think you just answered your own question. dont do it. open a SNAD case or arrived broken. dont even attempt to have it repaired.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

As I've already mentioned anything seems better than opening a SNAD after my last experience returning overseas. It's definitely a last resort option.
Message 15 of 15
Latest reply