I'm suspecting that I'm being scammed, advice?

Hi Everyone,

Amatuer hour for me. I've made a purchase with an individual who listed the same item on the next day with the same title, images, price and description. I've contacted the seller and his response was that 'his partner has the same one so he thought that he would use the same pictures'. He said that he's sent the item but hasn't even marked my item as paid nor sent. I briefly read 'ebays money back guarantee policy'. And I only learnt about the red flags AFTER I gained some suspicion that I was being scammed. He requests for bank transfer only, recently made account and slow to reply to messages. It's been about 24 hours thus far since I made the order. I've reported his repeat listed item. I'm a little hesitant on the off chance that the buyer is honest and he's 'just slow with technology' and it may be too early to tell. Yes, i bank transferred, I know I am highly likely not going to get my money back. But any advice would be helpful, additionally is there anything I can do to prevent others from buying the same item and being scammed. 

Other information: I have his banking details (name, acc no, bsb) if thats of any help for investigation of evidence for something... 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Bank deposit.....B-I-G  mistake.   You have no recourse through ebay or paypal if the transaction goes sour.

If it is only 24 hours since you paid by bank deposit it is highly unlikely that the seller has the money yet....it is not instant like paypal.  The seller will not mark it as paid until he has the cleared funds.

I think you have jumped the gun by reporting the second listing.....you have no way of knowing how many the seller has of any item.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

You have been a member for 10 years and have not done a very proactive job with this purchase.    Did you do any due diligence prior to purchase.  You have no idea if he had more than one of the item.  You say 24 hrs and nothing, what do you expect?????  Unlikely transfer has hit seller account let alone seller have time to send.   Where is the item coming from and what is sellers handling time.  Did you check feedback prior to purchase.  I suppose you want the item prior to Xmas!!!!!

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

I may have jumped the gun in reporting. However, he had listed a different item (an older model) with the description that his partner owns and no longer needs, following this he listed the 'same model, same accessories in the same colour' which I had purchased? Kind of raised my suspicion at that point. He's told me that he has recieved my funds and he's sent it yesterday but has yet to provide me with a tracking number.. But yes, I accept the consequences I guess for bank transferring online I guess...

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

For due diligence, I had contacted the seller prior to making the purchase and seemed reasonable. my thought was he need bank transfer to have funds asap for Christmas, either for presents or rent or something due to how this year turned out. Also I may need to explain the situation better. You are right, I may not know if he has more than one of the item, but to claim that the second item is his wifes', having already listed under different description, then list the same item i purchased with the same accessories in the same colour, and again after his wife' listing was gone, I see it listed AGAIN today (presumably somebody had purchased then he relisted). Now I do not know how many iPads an individual needs but having the same accessories in the same colour is a bit suspicious. Additionally this was happening in the 24 hour span! I sent him the payment receipt and he would tell me he would post it the next day.. thats when my alarm bells went off. I wasn't expecting to receive the item by Christmas and I did check his history but as I mentioned before, he needed funds for reasons stated above and I was suckered into it. If he is legit I will update this post, but I wanted to know if there is anything I can do to prevent others from being suckered into it because I'm getting the feeling that he is cycling between two listings and using COVID situation + christmas as a reason to get funds.
Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Regardless of the ethics or otherwise of the seller's listings I will address the bank transfer options.

A paypal payment is virtually instant to the seller and they can transfer the money to their bank account if they are not a new seller who is subject to the 21 day hold.

A bank transfer to the seller can take several days to clear, depending on the seller's bank.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Hi there,  If you have purchased from the seller who only registered 4 days ago,  and has sold the same item  3 times,  twice for $950 and once for  $1000.    Then I think you have every right to be concerned.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Yeah it was this person, definately lesson learnt. Will see in the coming days if he will provide a tracking number or if delivery arrives. Others may report to law enforcement and ACCC though I doubt anything will come from it, but who knows...

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks, will definately be only working with paypal from now on.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Do you think its worth leaving a negative review now to let others know or contact eBay about it? I'm having a growing suspicion that others are also being duped..

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply