I purchased an item (highest bid) and paid by credit card. The seller then notified method won't sen

bourn.pau
Community Member

I won /bid for an item $460 us. During the process shipping cost and import charges were displayed. I paid by  visa card. Now the seller is telling me they wont send over seas. and have refunded me at an echange rate loss the item cost but not th us$100 shipping and import duty charges - is this a con and what are my options.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I purchased an item (highest bid) and paid by credit card. The seller then notified method won't sen

@bourn-pau,

For your interest (and to ensure that you know what's what if you order again from an overseas seller who is using the GSP), this thread explains almost everything about the Global Shipping Programme.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Can you post the item number please?

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Hi thanks for getting back to me. Item ID: 324205699900

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Seems to be a legitimate seller, though somewhat incompetent if they're advertising international shipping and then reneging on that after receiving payment.

Nothing you can do about the exchange rate loss - that's the risk of currency conversions, unfortunately - but send the seller a polite message asking how they've processed the refund, as you've not received the shipping and duties charge back.

As you paid by VISA, does your card or bank statement show seperate charges for the item price, and the shipping/duties? I'm guessing you might have seen two charges come off, then only one of those refunded? Could be the second one takes a day or two longer to refund.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Tazzie, I'm not sure how the seller would know the item was going to be posted overseas since it was being sent by the GSP (unlees the OP had emailed them after the auction.)

With the GSP postage and duties it could be a bit of a bunfight getting that back as the OP paid by credit card (possibly as a "guest" via Paypal.)

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I'm estimating I'll lose over  $100 dollars in charges etc even if postage and duty is refunded so not happy. I will think long and hard before I use ebay again. Surely the seller has to take some responsability -Post to Australia charges and duty were displayed. I may have to take it up with Australian consumer Dept and any other avenues.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Here we go again.

Australian authorities have NO control or jurisdiction over foreigners.

eBay provide the platform. If Pitney Bowes decide they are not shipping at the moment, that is their choice, not the seller's. As mentioned, if the GSP is being used (which it certainly seems to be) then the seller is shipping to the USA. That's why there were 2 charges - 1 to the seller and 1 to PB.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

In other words Ebay - buyer beware! and don'y bother with any more high and mighty"ive told you so' type replies.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

I beg your pardon. I simply pointed out the facts. If you don't like them, that is your problem.

Buyer beware has ALWAYS been the case, especially when purchasing from overseas.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

you have my pardon -no need to beg. I've lived and learnt.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply