Ideas for Aussie friend

ross3804
Community Member

Hello everyone from the US here.  I have  a friend in WA whom I have never met in person, and would like to put together a Christmas box for her.  I am hoping you can give me some ideas of what she might enjoy from the states.  Thank you so much for your help.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Ideas for Aussie friend

Um very hard to answer that as we do not know the person or what she likes.

Maybe some sort of souvenir with USA on it?

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

I have some friends in the US who have sent me things, and they tend to be things that they know I'll like, but something only available over there.

For example, I'm a huge coffee drinker, so one friend has sent me special Starbucks coffee sachets, a limited edition Starbucks Christmas mug and so on.

Another friend knows I am a huge Invader Zim fan (short-lived US cartoon, merchadise is a little hard to come by here), so she sends me some of the weirder stuff (nobody knows why there's bacon in the soap 😮 ). 

On the flipside - my coffee pal is also pretty keen on coffee, so I've sent him souvenir spoons.

So, the gist is, take something you know they like, and find something to do with it that they couldn't get here, at least not easily. 

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

That's a tough one without knowing much.

Probably best if you can find out some of her interests or hobbies.

Perhaps a xmas hamper with some of well known American gourmet, confectionery items. 🙂

image host
Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

Maybe make up a hamper with things from the US, haircare, skincare products, food items lollies ect  (have to check the Aus quarantine to see what is and isn't allowed).

Put a few different things in the hamper so you have it all covered,  Anything that is different and only from the US 🙂

Its so hard to buy for other people so good luck 🙂

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

ross3804
Community Member

Thanks for your replies - and the suggestion to check the quarantine - never would have thought of that!  Can you get real maple syrup (Vermont) down there?

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

How about a gift or gifts from Timmies, we don't have them here

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

The only maple syrup I have seen here is Camp brand.

image host
Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

ross3804
Community Member

I live in Chicago and had to Google Timmies to find what it was.  Appears to be a Canadian coffee/doughnut chain.  Never heard of it before.  Maybe maple syrup would be a good idea if it.s not available there.

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

lis351
Community Member

No chocolate! Im in WA, Christmas time is notoriously hot, it will be ruined when it gets here.

If sending food items, be sure they have clear ingredients on the packaging, should customs inspect. If the ingredients arent clearly marked, its doubtful your friend will receive the item.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply