International Combined Postage - US to AUS

stalakos
Community Member

Hi

I have purchased 2 childrens costumes and 1 pair of childrens  gloves to go with the costumes from one seller.  Each individual item lists international postage as $15.99.  I have asked multiple times to combine the postage but the seller has just put the postage as 3 x $15.99 = $47.97.  What can I do?  I have purchased multiple pairs of shoes from the US before with way less postage.

thanks for any info!!

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Does the seller state in the listings that they offer discounts for combined post?

Sometimes it is more expensive to send multiple items than it is to send them individually due to the weight and size of the combined parcel. It is always advisable to request a shipping quote prior to purchase. If you have requested a combined invoice and the shipping cost hasn't changed then that is what the seller is charging.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

under 2 lbs is usually pretty cheap 15-20 bux.     If they are dropshipping from all different companies they would be unable to combine postage of course -  sounds like that is the case. 

Too bad of course you didnt know this before you purchased otherwise you could have found a seller who is getting the items all from one place.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

You only bought it on the 10th. When did you email them?   Give them bit more time, they are big seller, they may have heaps of emails to answer. 

Do all the items show on one invoice?  What does it look like in your My eBay "Purchase History"? 

They do say $15.99and $5 for each other items, but that sometimes means the discount applies if you buy several of the same item. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

stalakos
Community Member

I have had a reply, and the invoice emailed, saying 47.97.

If I receive the items in one parcel then they must not be drop shipped??

As I understand we are not allowed to over charge for postage - can only add 5% (an issue I had to resolve when selling items)

In My eBay the items are combined under one invoice total for the seller id.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

you can uncombine the items on the invoice, pay for each one individually, and expect that they will be posted individually.

You can even put a different address for each item, one to your home, one to your work, one to your brother-in-law.  They would then have to post to these addresses.  That would certainly stop them posting all three items in one package.

However, the main message you should take from advice given here is that the time to ask about combined/reduced postage is before bidding/buying.

stalakos
Community Member

Thank you to all for giving me more information.

So my question now is, can a seller charge whatever they say on the auction (i purchased on buy now)?  If the shipping really costs 30 and I get charged 50 is that my tough luck?

I had to refund a buyer for the difference between what I said postage would cost against actual postage cost for an item I sold, yet it seems in this case I have to pay what the auction says.

thanks!

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

stalakos
Community Member

I just want to know the rules here ?:|

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

The rules are that a seller doesn't have to discount for combined postage, as long as the individual postage prices are reasonable.

In your case, unless there was a huge discrepancy between postage cost and what you charged you wouldn't have been forced to refund. Members are allowed to add a reasonable amount for handling and packaging materials.

I'm guessing that the buyer threatened to neg you if you didn't refund, but that's between you and them and nothing to do with eBay. Negging the seller is always an option if you're dissatisfied, but if you didn't confirm postage price BEFORE buying, it really is buyer beware.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay only consider it overcharging if the individual postage charges are excessive, I don't know where you get the 5% from, a seller is entitled to add a reasonable cost for packaging and handling so it could be $3 on a cheap but hard to wrap item and 50c on an expensive but easy to package one.

Unless it is stated in the listing that a discount will be given and that specifies that it is for different items, not just from that listing, then the seller is perfectly entitled to charge in full if they send them in one parcel or not.

The only time you can insist on a discount is if it is stated as above or if you have had a firm quote for those specific items before you buy.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply