International Priority Shipping is a major eBay ripoff. USPS is much cheaper.

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: International Priority Shipping is a major eBay ripoff. USPS is much cheaper.

That's fine.

Presumably you will also waive your right to compensation if your item goes missing? Given the seller won't have enough proof of where it was sent unless you pay for the higher level of postage.

Message 21 of 51
Latest reply

Re: International Priority Shipping is a major eBay ripoff. USPS is much cheaper.

Presumably you will also waive your right to compensation if your item goes missing? Given the seller won't have enough proof of where it was sent unless you pay for the higher level of postage.

Nonsense. The buyer's rights are not affected by the shipping method, it is the seller who is at risk if they cannot show evidence of delivery. In practice Australia is a very safe country to ship to, and a sensible US seller will know this. Unhappily many have less knowledge of international shipping than  the average melon.

Message 22 of 51
Latest reply

All my recent USPS First Class International items from the US have had tracking and delivery confirmation. Fortunately it seems more US sellers are catching onto the free E-DELCON service.

Message 23 of 51
Latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Nonsense. The buyer's rights are not affected by the shipping method, it is the seller who is at risk if they cannot show evidence of delivery. In practice Australia is a very safe country to ship to, and a sensible US seller will know this. Unhappily many have less knowledge of international shipping than  the average melon.

Nonsense, indeed.

Member was stating they would only buy if the seller used the cheapest postage available. It is not unreasonable to assume this leaves the seller vulnerable, and I was asking the buyer member if they were prepared to waive their buyer protection.

Did you read what I wrote? I can assure you I have a bit more knowledge of international shipping than a melon, and I dare say a bit more knowledge of the situation on the Australian side of the Pacific Ocean than you.

I understand you are trying to0 drum up trade, but you really need to read what's said if you want to be considered a reliable US seller. Congruent to which - do you send to Australia by USPS first class, non seller protecting, mail?

Message 24 of 51
Latest reply

Dave, afantiques is registered in the UK, not the USA and has not sold anything on that ID for several years.

Message 25 of 51
Latest reply

The seller willing to send by the 'cheapest postage available' could be making the difference between a sale and no sale.

Don't forget for added peace of mind the seller always has the option to purchase insurance such as from Shipsurance which

as I recall is quite cheap. I would prefer to pay the shipsurance fee of say $1.50 per $100 value plus First Class Intl fee over

any other services. And to date my experiences with USPS First Class have been good.

Message 26 of 51
Latest reply

as "international buyer" I can state, that this "international priority shipping" is way to much expensive and lots of interesting stuff I didn't buy because of it. Sometimes it is twice as standard shipping. All these "taxes and import duties" are nonsense. I ask local authorities and they told that they don't care to this feature. I will be forced to pay VAT and sometimes import tax even from these "taxes". This increases total price. Meanwhile, there is some mimum for non paying taxes. If I order stuff for ~30USD gross I will not pay taxes. It is the law. Also, if sender is private person, typically I do not pay taxes. But with this all "IPS" shipping **bleep** I will pay taxes.

There are some messages about "tracking", "insurance"... All this stuff is available in standard postage. All you need is to ask for it and pay few extra bucks.

Maybe this "IPS" is good ... for local delivery or if the seller if too lazy to enter more shipping options. But you all are loosing all international buyers.

Message 27 of 51
Latest reply

You are registered in Lithuania....the fees and import duties would be quite different to those applying in Australia, where you are now posting.

Message 28 of 51
Latest reply

lyndal1838

" International Priority Shipping is a USPS premium service that provides tracking, insurance and seller protection.

I presume you are referring to the USPS First Class mail being a lot cheaper...but it does not provide the same level of protection so many sellers will not use it. "

Iyndal I wonder if he means the GPS ( Global Shipping Program ), as I know that program does use the above and yes is expensive.

Message 29 of 51
Latest reply

It is because US sellers have been brainwashed to believe that all 'foreign' buyers are out to scam them. They call Canadians 'foreigners'. That would be like us calling Kiwis 'foreigners.

And if you message them before you buy asking can they send it by ordinary post and not GSP, they are sure that you are a scammer. 

Three balls of wool that  is for sale for $14 and weighs 150grams costs $35 to post? But it does includes custom charges!!!! 

You have to wonder, sometimes where they are coming from.

Message 30 of 51
Latest reply