International Priority Shipping is a major eBay ripoff. USPS is much cheaper.

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

International Priority Shipping is a major eBay ripoff. USPS is much cheaper.

@lyndal1838wrote:

@stuartvw wrote:

This is getting off subject.        

The fact seems to be that a lot of US sellers don't seem aware that they have a USPS option and choose  International Priority Shipping because it is either suggested or is the default (speculation only).

What I do know is:

1) USPS and Australia Post have never failed me.

2) It is a difficult process for a US seller to change from  International Priority Shipping to USPS after agreeing with a buyer to do so.

I had a tranascation like this and it had to be dne through Payapl invoicing directly and not Ebay. By making it so difficult Ebay are doing themselves a dis-service, I imagine, loosing seller's commission.

Stuart, you do not seem to understand what you have been told.....International Priority Mail is a USPS service....it is a premium service that offers tracking and insurance to the standard required for seller protection.

It is also the service used by Pitney Bowes when they forward parcels from sellers who use the Global Shipping Program.

Many sellers will not use the much cheaper First Class Mail service because it does not offer any seller protection.

Lyndal 1838, I hear what you're saying, but I have to disagree here. I have been buying from Ebay since around 2002 or 2003 from memory. I have made more transactions than what my feedback says too. Out of all of them  (attempts included), only a handfull wouldn't sell to overseas buyers.  Many of the sellers have just gone with the flow.

For me, items have become less available for me and others by problem of having to pay around $24 post via Gobal Shipping / Pitney Bowes as opposed to USPS = $12  or GFB post = $8 to $10.

Sellers that sell collectable items would nearly always, always sell to overseas bidders as that's where the action comes from. Northern Soul records (45s)  that attract anything from $15 - $3000 were made available to overseas bidders. This was way before the terrible Global Shipping thing came in.

Perhaps the sellers you refer to are ones that sell new stuff and have multiples of the same items. But collectors and collectable sellers have been crippled by the Global Shipping scam.  I can personally testify that there are things that are out of my reach because of this. I'm not going to pay triple postage for an item.

Message 51 of 51
Latest reply