International Transaction Fee appearing on Credit Card when buying from AU Seller

joes004
Community Member

Purchased a single item from an Australian Seller only to find a 5.1% International transaction fee on my credit card.

Called NAB (my CC provider) they advised the seller's account was in China and the monies requested was in their currency.

I found this to be very misleading and disappointment on eBay behalf.   

I have provided a solution to eBay on this issue in the past but it does not seem to be heard so I have decided to post this in the Community Forum.

EBay would be able to look at the sellers BSB account details and advise the perspective buyer that there could be additional transaction fees if you proceed with the purchase from this seller when their BSB is not linked to an Australian Bank. A full list of BSB can be found on http://bsb.apca.com.au/  (Australian Payment Network).

Notifying buyers is in the best interest for consumer, eBay and the seller. I hope they start to listen and implement this change as I am starting rethink about purchasing goods through eBay.  

Joe

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

International Transaction Fee appearing on Credit Card when buying from AU Seller

@juddo76 wrote:

'

In my NAB credit card I have now switched off the setting that allows me to pay anyone overseas.

Most of the bank accounts are free with NAB. Do what I did and open a specific one just for eBay purchases. I keep maybe $100 in that account and top it up as required. I use this as the funding source for my PayPal account.

PayPal will always process the sale in Australia when the funding source is a bank account (because it is really cheap for them). When the funding source is a credit card, they will process the sale wherever they get the cheapest rate (here or overseas).

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

I have mentioned similar to eBay as it's very frustrating when you get your bank statement from nab and see you've been charged an extra fee.
Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I just received 5 International Transaction fees in not as many days. All were advertised as Australian stocked. All are 3% of purchase price and have added up to a considerable amount. When is Ebay going to step in and do something about this. Maybe drop fees to 7% of purchase on affected transactions until they do something about it as legally it's misleading information. Ebay's lack of empathy for the buyer , allegiances to big sellers who clearly provide more income for them and 10% gst added to transactions on top of Ebays 10% have forced me to buy considerably less off this platform over the past 2 years and use platforms that are free as they are happy enough with the income from advertising displayed on their site. 

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

eBay is all about the buyer always

Were these sellers actually registered in Australia?

Were the fees shown before hitting the 'pay now' button?

The ad saying the item is in Australia is meaningless

Have you negged any sellers that falsely advertise 'Australian stock' ?

Have you reported any sellers for item location misrepresentation?

Do you check seller's feedback before buying?

eBay is not going to step in

They do not vet listings

They do not know if sellers are dodgy if the buyer does not notify them

All the power is in your hands as the buyer

Best start your own thread on the issue rather than piggy back on one from 2019

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply