Is this shill bidding or 2 people who really want the items

paristar8
Community Member

I am watching a couple of small items with a seller and was looking at a couple of their other items, the bidding has jumped from $415 to $3999.99 and the other item was at $1283 now at $5039.53 and still a couple of days to go.

item no 222464094148

item no 222464094725

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Looks like it, but more to give the impression that the value is higher.

Just to increase a perceived value.

Then on further relists some buyers may think they will get a bargain when winning at a cheaper price.

image host
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Looks shill bidding to me. 100% bids with the seller for both those bidders over multiple items. It will be interesting to see if those 2 items get relisted next week. It would also be interesting to see if they started bidding on other items that currently don't have bids if someone does bid on them.

I wouldn't buy from that seller anyway. His replies to his negs leaves a lot to be desired.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Looks shill bidding to me. 100% bids with the seller for both those bidders over multiple items. It will be interesting to see if those 2 items get relisted next week. It would also be interesting to see if they started bidding on other items that currently don't have bids if someone does bid on them.

I wouldn't buy from that seller anyway. His replies to his negs leaves a lot to be desired.

At 97.8% feedback plus those replies I don't know why anyone would buy from them but unfortunately going by the number of people who come here after transacting with sellers like this one plenty do.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

That's exactly what I thought too.

One thing that did bemuse me was the fact that (if I recall correctly) one of those sus accounts was a zero rater. What I find most surprising on one item I looked at is that a zero rater had made an initial bid of close to $3980 when the bidding was down at $405.

I know people here say to pop in your highest bid right from the get go, but that's a huge leap & I would expect a zero rater to put in a lower top bid to start with. You would want to be pretty sure of your values & the authenticity before bidding on such expensive unseen ebay items, I would think. The fact that another bidder came in quite early and then topped that bid in one hit is also surprising,

I personally would expect a more experienced bidder or trader to bid a bit later or to have a sniping bid set up.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Perhaps the $405 bidder put in a high bid of just under$3980 and the zero feedbacker bid $3980 that would explain the sudden leap.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I'm experienced springy and I always go in for the kill immediately lol.

I bid the exact amount I'm willing to pay even if there is a low bid on it at the start.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

So do I,  or otherwise I'm liable to miss the whole thing completely.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Maybe it is just me then, but a close to $4000 bid seems a high amount for someone who is just starting out in ebay & has supposedly made no previous purchases.

Actually, it's a lot of money, full stop. I've been around a few years and I would hesitate to bid that much unless I really knew my stuff and had asked a few questions first. But everyone is different, I guess.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I was telling my sisier in law and she said that there is a post about the seller and bidders on page 2 right down the bottom of page.

I am not going to place a bid on my $9.00 item to support a seller who is dishonest.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply