Item claimed as delivered

Hello All,

I placed an order for an item worth hundreds of dollars through eBay. After 3 days I received an email stating that the item was delivered. On inspecting the door and the mail area the item was not there.

- Neither I nor anyone from my family accepted the parcel. 

- My suburb is in covid-19 lock-down, we are not allowed to go out. There is no way to miss the parcel, we are at home full time.

- I have thoroughly checked the mailbox area, near the door, safe hiding area, in a bin, or the porch area.

The Australia Post tracking shows that the item was delivered on July 1st.

After a long follow-up with the seller, I asked eBay to step in. eBay closed the case with the Australia Post tracking details stating that the item was indeed delivered. I appealed again to eBay and now I have been asked to do the following:

- Contact Australia Post and investigate

- Contact the payment provider (my bank) so that I can claim a refund. 

I paid eBay and expected an item for the last 23 days.

Overall, it is pretty disappointing that I made my kids wait during this covid-19 lockdown period for online order through eBay where we did not get the game console nor did we receive the money. 

Any thoughts? What are your thoughts about my rights on this issue? 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You have the necessary information now to be refunded.

Just make sure that you have all of your ducks in a row before contacting eBay via Live Chat again.

Explain that the item did not arrive, you have already opened a claim, the seller appears to have provided a false tracking number, and AP have emailed you with the information that the parcel with tracking number xxxxx (provided by the seller) was not addressed to you. Explain that on this basis, you request a full refund, and also wish to report the seller as having attempted to use Seller Protection fraudulently.

Break everything down into points. Don't make it too complicated. Don't let the CS rep lure you into a discussion/argument about the dispute and how it is closed and can't be re-opened.

Just state very clearly that the tracking number does not confirm delivery to you, and that AP have informed you that the parcel with that tracking number was not addressed to you and the address was not yours. State that you would be happy to forward the email that you received from AP under the investigation number 4105. This demonstrates that the seller did not address the parcel to you.

Oh, wait a minute - you were on the phone with the Commonwealth Bank? Does that mean that you've already requested a chargeback? In that case, there is no point in contacting eBay again. You should receive your refund  from your bank and have it confirmed within 2-3 weeks after the time for contesting it by the seller (or rather, by eBay) has lapsed.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

You cannot name the seller here, but what is the item number? 

What did the seller say when you followed up with them?

If you were waiting on a PS5, there are huge scams going around and many buyers have been burned.

If you funded the payment with a credit card, you can contact them (even if you paid via Paypal).

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Contact AP for a copy of the signature or the photo of where it was left.

Was the item over $750? If so, signature on delivery would have been necessary.

Let us know item number, as jellybirddesigns has said.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Thank you for your feedback:

Item number313581551683

I followed up with the Post Office (Australia Post) and received this response:

Hi 

Re: Article 6045

We have an update on the delivery of your Parcel Post item.

I have met with the driver responsible for the delivery of this item, and after reviewing route and tracking information, they recall that this item was not addressed to you. Please Note: The item was delivered as addressed.

I encourage you to contact the sender to discuss this matter.
Kind Regards,
Sally
Australia Post

I sent a note to the Seller through eBay contact seller. Not sure whether the seller will respond as eBay closed the appeal as well.

By the way, this is the email from eBay after I shared the Australia Post update:

-------------

I really appreciate your efforts in this case as you have contacted the Australia post and they mentioned that it was drivers mistake due to which item is not delivered to you.

From Here In order to resolve this issue I would recommend you to please contact the seller as shipping company also mentioned that you need to contact the sender regarding resolving this issue and I would recommend you to please contact your payment source too, I am pretty much optimistic that your issue will resolved soon.

Thank you for being a valuable part of the eBay community. I wish success with your future transactions on eBay..

Kind regards,

eBay Customer Support

-------------

Now I'm on call (dialed CommBank), with an estimated wait time of 60 minutes!! I hope no one goes through so much agony.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Thank you for your response.

No, the item is not over $750.

Item number: 313581551683

Australia Post got back stating that the parcel was not addressed to me!

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

You have the necessary information now to be refunded.

Just make sure that you have all of your ducks in a row before contacting eBay via Live Chat again.

Explain that the item did not arrive, you have already opened a claim, the seller appears to have provided a false tracking number, and AP have emailed you with the information that the parcel with tracking number xxxxx (provided by the seller) was not addressed to you. Explain that on this basis, you request a full refund, and also wish to report the seller as having attempted to use Seller Protection fraudulently.

Break everything down into points. Don't make it too complicated. Don't let the CS rep lure you into a discussion/argument about the dispute and how it is closed and can't be re-opened.

Just state very clearly that the tracking number does not confirm delivery to you, and that AP have informed you that the parcel with that tracking number was not addressed to you and the address was not yours. State that you would be happy to forward the email that you received from AP under the investigation number 4105. This demonstrates that the seller did not address the parcel to you.

Oh, wait a minute - you were on the phone with the Commonwealth Bank? Does that mean that you've already requested a chargeback? In that case, there is no point in contacting eBay again. You should receive your refund  from your bank and have it confirmed within 2-3 weeks after the time for contesting it by the seller (or rather, by eBay) has lapsed.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed response.

I'll have to contact eBay customer service tomorrow again as it is out of their business hours. I got tired and dropped the commonwealth bank customer service call after waiting for 1 hour 35 minutes. 

Thank you once again, I really appreciate all your assistance.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

@emailfro_22 wrote:

Australia Post got back stating that the parcel was not addressed to me!

Please could you clarify this? Not addressed to you personally or was not sent to your address?

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Although it has never happened to me, I have heard of similar scams, that is to say parcels sent to an address (a friend of the seller/scammer) near the intended recipient, so that the tracking shows the right suburb for delivery.

With AusPost's documentation, you can certainly get your money back - either by contacting eBay via live chat or going to the bank after lockdown. I assume you didn't use PayPal to pay as you mention contacting the bank for a chargeback.

Sometimes sellers might make a mistake with providing tracking numbers (once I was given someone else's tracking number and was very worried when I saw my item had been delivered somewhere else, but then my parcel arrived with a different tracking number) and then you do get your parcel, but as the so-called delivery was 3 weeks ago it does not seem to be a mistake.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

The seller is new with only 10 feedback, so it is possible that it was indeed a scam.

Some new sellers sell a few items honestly just to get some initial good feedback, then they start scamming buyers. Of course I cannot say that this is definitely the case; I am just saying that it is a possibility.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply