Item not legit and received damaged, seller has deleted listing how can I get a refund?

I had ordered a Funko Pop figurine, it arrived today but was completely smashed and broken in multiple places because it was just shoved into a plastic bag and sent without any bubble wrap or other protection.

Also, on closer inspection, it is not an authentic Funko Pop but a bootleg. The seller had described it as "brand new" and "authentic ". It is also not new, the box has been opened and there are fingerprints everywhere.

The seller has deleted the original listing and eBay has marked the item as 'delivered' (which is true, I did receive it), and I can't see any options to report a problem to start the return process.  How can I go about returning this so that I can get a refund? I'd appreciate any help, thank you.

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Item not legit and received damaged, seller has deleted listing how can I get a refund?

You need to go through eBay's MBG for "item not as described".

https://pages.ebay.com.au/ebay-money-back-guarantee/index.html

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 51
Latest reply

Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Message 3 of 51
Latest reply

No worries, glad to help out. Just be aware of the time limitations for a claim.

The seller may try to tell you they can't refund until you close the case - that is a LIE, don't fall for it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 51
Latest reply

Open a case for "Item Not as Described" and do not close it until you have a refund.

When you open the case, the seller will get an option of either refunding you, or sending you a shipping label (if they are registered in Aus), and they want it back. Under no circumstances must you be responsible for return postage.

Don't bother communicating with them either.

Message 5 of 51
Latest reply

I made the mistake of replying to his message and this is what he is saying:

"dear buyer,
Sorry for inconvenience caused to you,
could we refund 20% to you? And you keep the item or you send it back to us for refund we cant provide shipping as it will be too much for us to pay. it much appreciated to inform us"

The price was $120 + $12.50 shipping, so what is the point of him refunding $26.50 (assuming he is refunding me 20% of $132.50) so that I can keep this fake and broken Funko?

And I also have a feeling he is not in Australia but is using a fake Australian address (item's location was listed as Melbourne) because he clearly doesn't want to pay for international shipping. The plastic bag the item was sent in had an Australia Post label put over whatever label was on it and I couldn't make out where he had sent it from, but I'm guessing its somewhere from China or around that region.

He's also not willing to send me a return shipping label.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed? Thank you.

Message 6 of 51
Latest reply

Ignore him and proceed as already advised

The seller is dodgy as and has zero intention of doing anything for you at all

The feedback shows where he is registered (most likely China) and no doubt will have many many negs for pulling similar stunts on others 

Message 7 of 51
Latest reply

Within the refund request (in the dispute/claim), simply state that under the MBG you request full refund, and that it is the seller’s responsibility to cover return postage.

Then ask eBay to step in. There should be a button or link in the claim to escalate to eBay.

If you are concerned about proceeding, you have the option of contacting Live Chat, but really, you shouldn’t need to. It’s straightforward; eBay should grant the refund without your needing to return the faulty/damaged item if the seller can’t or won’t enable return postage.

Message 8 of 51
Latest reply

Thanks for the replies, I'll get eBay involved and see what can be done.

Message 9 of 51
Latest reply

Do not involve Ebay customer service at this point - there is no need and quite honestly, you simply need to follow the guidelines for getting your money back.

CS reps are mostly useless anyway.

Just. Open. A. Dispute.

Message 10 of 51
Latest reply