Item not received - seller asking me to close case?

sitr_55
Community Member

I have not recieved an item from a seller and I opened a case. They offered to resend the item, which I agreed. Now they have sent me another message a few days after asking me if I am going to keep the case open to receive 2 copies.

What is the proper protocol with keeping cases open? Should I be closing the case? It has not been resolved yet on my end. I have yet to recieve the item and there is a slightly accusatory tone in their message. Can I open another "not received" case if I still haven't received the item after closing this current one like the seller is suggesting?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Do NOT close the case

The seller is very unlikely to re-send anything

And if you close the case, you cannot re-open it

The fact they are lying that you can says it all

Ignore them and follow through with the item not received dispute as soon as it allows

What was the seller's feedback like?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

As soon as the option appears, ask ebay to step in and help. They will close the dispute in your favour because the seller sent without tracking. In the event the item does eventually arrive, you can always repay the seller if you like.

A seller saying they will resend an item is a stalling tactic, especially from Chinese sellers. Maybe one seller in 100 might resend, but most don't. They know that by you thinking another item has been sent, it's too late to open a dispute. Don't ever fall for that tactic. It's a full refund or nothing. You can always rebuy later. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Do NOT close the case

The seller is very unlikely to re-send anything

And if you close the case, you cannot re-open it

The fact they are lying that you can says it all

Ignore them and follow through with the item not received dispute as soon as it allows

What was the seller's feedback like?

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

They have a 98 % positive feedback based on over 10k ratings. They also claim not to offer tracking for international orders. Although reading into the minority negative feedback, there were some cases of buyers not receiving their purchases. 

Granted, I may have worded vaguely in my initiap question. They did not suggest that I could reopen the case. They just pit the pressure on me to close it by suggesting I was keeping it open to receive 2 copies.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Very poor feedback for a high volume seller

At that level, they should be no less than 99.5%

Just make sure you don't let the dispute time out

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Okay, I will keep it open. Thanks. 

So the dispute times out after 30 days?

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Actions & time frames when the buyer doesn't receive an item

Action

Time frame

The buyer reports that the item hasn't arrived or was not available for collection

Report an item that hasn't arrived - opens in new window or tab

Earliest:

Latest:

The seller responds to the buyer's report

The seller is required to respond and provide either tracking information, delivery updates, or a refund.

Latest:

• 3 business days after the report date

If the seller provided tracking details, eBay may close the case automatically once tracking shows the item has been delivered.

Ask eBay to step in

If the seller hasn't responded or if the buyer and seller can't reach a resolution, they can ask us to step in and help.

eBay may step in without the buyer asking if there is no valid tracking information available.

Earliest:

• 3 business days after the report date

Latest:

• 21 business days after the report date

Deciding the outcome when the buyer doesn't receive an item

When a buyer reports that they didn't receive an item and the transaction meets our eligibility requirements, we will look for:

• Evidence of successful delivery to the address provided by the buyer at checkout, or
  • Proof that the buyer collected the item

If we determine that the item was not successfully delivered or collected:

• The buyer will receive a refund for the full cost of the item and original postage, and
  • The seller may be required to reimburse eBay for the amount of the refund
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

….. also….. STOP communicating with the seller.

He will need to respond to the opened case (I think he has 4 days). After that has passed, eBay will step in and give an outcome.  (Or you may have to escalate it ….. I can’t quite remember) 
The fact that tracking hasn’t been used, eBay will most likely rule in your favour.

Best of luck with it all.  Any probs, just come back and ask. 👍🏻

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

As soon as the option appears, ask ebay to step in and help. They will close the dispute in your favour because the seller sent without tracking. In the event the item does eventually arrive, you can always repay the seller if you like.

A seller saying they will resend an item is a stalling tactic, especially from Chinese sellers. Maybe one seller in 100 might resend, but most don't. They know that by you thinking another item has been sent, it's too late to open a dispute. Don't ever fall for that tactic. It's a full refund or nothing. You can always rebuy later. 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I paid for my order on 16th August 2022. My order hadn't arrived after many weeks and I asked eBay to step in. The seller asked me to close the dispute because the item would arrive soon. I closed the dispute but the item still hasn't arrived by 28th October!

The seller now won't answer my emails and I can't find a way of contacting eBay to get them involved again.

The money back guarantee is useless unless I can contact eBay - please help.

David Jacobs

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

It is not useless if you follow the correct process

By closing the case 'because the seller told you to' you have thereby told eBay you are happy and sorted things between yourself and the seller

You cannot reopen the case

If you paid by PayPal you can open a dispute there

If this happens again in future, do not close the case, not matter what 'the seller says'

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply