Items purchased on credit card listed as paypal

kinewma-2
Community Member

I have a number of purchases I completed recently.  In the Order details sections they are listed as being paid via credit card but in my credit card statement they are just listed as Paypal.  I know these are my purchase because the date an value match items I purchased.  Despite being listed as just Paypal in my credit card statement I did not use Paypal to make these purchase as far as I can tell as there is no listing of these purchase in my Paypal accounts. 

Does anyone else who has used a credit card have this inconsistent labeling on their credit card statements?

I need a receipt to acquit these purchases and as these items are listed as coming via Paypal have been trying to find a Paypal receipt but can not find one anywhere.  I never received a paypal receipt with the original purchase.  If Paypal is processing ebays credit card purchases should they be able to generate a receipt?

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@kinewma-2 wrote:
None of these purchase are listed in Paypal.

That would be because you didn't log into your PayPal account to make the payments.

You can use PayPal as a guest if paying by credit card, even if you're not using ebay as a guest, and that is how credit card payments are usually processed on eBay - because first and foremost, PayPal is a payment processor so they provide checkout facilities, for a variety of payment methods (you only have to log in if you're using a PayPal balance, or eCheque).

Some sellers have independent merchant facilities but most don't, it's usually just bigger retailers who have them as part of their normal retail operation, and from memory only two out of the many facilities available to sellers can integrate with eBay's checkout like PayPal does; with all others the CC payment has to be processed manually by the seller, usually over the phone.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 39
Latest reply

@kinewma-2 wrote:

Many of you do not seem to understand that at no point have I used a paypal popup box to enter credit card details or logged into paypal.  My credit card details are linked to by ebay account.  When that box is ticked it uses that payment method.  As far as I was concerned when I checked out Paypal was not involved.  But now Paypal is listed as the Merchant on my Credit card statement.

I do understand. 

When you click on Paypal you are taken to your paypal account and you use whatever funding source you have attached to your account.

When you click on Credit Card you are told that paypal will be processing the payment (usually because the merchant does not accept credit cards directly)  I believe it also states that it will apper on your card statement as Paypal.

It is not attached to your paypal account and will not show there.

If you want to initiate a dispute you cannot do it through paypal or ebay.....you can only do a chargback through your credit card.

My first questions was if this happened with other poeple?  When you purchase things by just entering your credit card and do not use Paypal, how does that appear on your credit card statement?

It has never happened to me because I prefer to have the protection of paypal with a chargeback as a backup option but I do know it appears as paypal on your CC statement as you were told when you used the option.

If as some of you have suggested the sellers are using Paypal to process the credit card payment, shouldn't I still receive an invoice from Paypal?  - In that scenario it would not appear on my Paypal account because I have not selected to use Paypal to make the payment

No you will not get a paypal receipt as you are not using your paypal account.....it is a bank transaction.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

If you click on paypal and use your credit card to pay then you have gone via paypal.

Print out the order details as a receipt

If the seller has credit card as a payment options then it would show on your statement for the one the payment has gone too.

Message 2 of 39
Latest reply

I did not do that, that is it point.   These items were not purchase via Paypal.  None of these purchaces are listed in my paypal account as I haven't been using it because I have had trouble logging in from ebay.  Instead I just entered my credit card number staight into the credit card section in the Buy Item page to complete the purchase.

Message 3 of 39
Latest reply

Did the seller/s accept credit cards as a payment form? You can check this under the Payments tab in the listings. If they don't, then you're probably paying as a guest through paypal when you use your credit card in checkout.

I notice you've got low feedback so perhaps you've only got a guest account and haven't fully signed up. I know you said you've had trouble logging in but do you mean you've had problems logging in to your paypal account, or do you mean you've had trouble logging into paypal when you go to checkout to pay for something?
Message 4 of 39
Latest reply

Just to confirm, you purchased from sellers who had merchant credit card facilities?

Message 5 of 39
Latest reply

Unless the seller offers credit card as payment then you will be going through paypal as suggested as a guest.

Seems your purchases are from China and they do not have the CC as payment option, ONLY paypal so that is where you are going through whether you realise it or not

Message 6 of 39
Latest reply

I don't believe I'm a guest.  I can access My eBay and all the info there. 

The problem with paypal is logging into Paypal when it redirects in the popup from ebay, I would enter my log in details and then it would get stuck ttrying to load anything after that.  The problem started recietly but that is not the issue I am trying to resolve.

If I was checking out as guest and even if the seller only use paypal for payments shouldn't I still have received a receipt from Paypal if that is who I was paying via?

To be clear I have not been entering my credit card number in to a guest paypal account.  My credit card details was attached to my account.  At payment there are two options Paypal and Credit card.  The dot next to mu credit card details was ticked

Message 7 of 39
Latest reply

Ok but should I recieve a receipt from paypal?
Message 8 of 39
Latest reply

If you have a paypal account with your credit card linked to it, there should have been an email with your payment details

However, there are often delays where the email does not come through but it will still be under your payment history in paypal itself 

Message 9 of 39
Latest reply

Not if you are only using as a guest

But in the end you yourself said the payments match the purchases so you know you have not had money removed for items you have not purchased so what is the big deal for?

As stated earlier IF you want a receipt print a copy of the order purchase.

Message 10 of 39
Latest reply