Just received a ebay scam phone call claiming that $299 was just spent and if it was not me press 1?

The phone that received the call is in no way connected to ebay what so ever and never has been?

Message 1 of 63
Latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Just received a ebay scam phone call claiming that $299 was just spent and if it was not me press 1?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I hope you did not press 1......if you did you have just confirmed to the scammers that they have found an active phone number.

Message 2 of 63
Latest reply

It has nothing to do with eBay. It is a common scam going around, though.

Message 3 of 63
Latest reply

One of the most common scams going

Have a look at the number of threads on the forum about it

As said, I hope you did not press one 

Message 4 of 63
Latest reply

My mother is being plagued by a similar scam allegedly from Amazon.  She only has a landline and no screen to warn her who is calling so she has to answer the phone in case it is family or friends.

Yesterday the scammers phoned her four times and today twice.

She ignored their instructions (she doesn't know what Amazon is and is not on the internet and she doesn't have a smartphone) so now she just hangs up, but she is sick of them calling her.

Message 5 of 63
Latest reply

zanadoo, put your mum's number on the 'do not call register'.

It doesn't eliminate all but dramatically reduces the number of calls.

image host
Message 6 of 63
Latest reply

I thought of that but apparently my brother had already put her on the register a while ago.

There's an awful lot of scammers out there where the Do Not Call Register has no effect. 

I'm on the register and I still get plenty of dodgy calls (mostly supposedly from Telstra and the NBN).

Message 7 of 63
Latest reply

It is a good idea to redo the Do Not Call registration occasionally.

I discovered after a year or so that I was no longer on it and was told that it is not unusual for this to happen.

Message 8 of 63
Latest reply

I got another fake NBN call last week so I checked if I was still on the Do Not Call Register and I still am.

Message 9 of 63
Latest reply

be aware.... scams everywhere

Message 10 of 63
Latest reply