Logistics for Collecting 'pick up only' purchase

What are the normal logistics for paying and picking up a 'pick-up only' purchase?

If you are buying from classified adverts you normally visit the seller and look at the item and then, if you are happy,  pay cash and then take it away. But cash payments don't work with the eBay commission system

For an eBay purchase ideally I would like to look at the item to make sure it is all in order before paying. Then pay on the spot and take it away. But online payments are likely not to be processed instantly I guess? Or are they processed instantly by eBay?

The seller obviously won't let the item be taken until it is paid so if you want to be sure that your journey will not be wasted then are you supposed to pay in advance, then check the seller has the money, then go to pick the item up. Then inspect it and if it does not match the description or there is a problem of some kind don't take the item and request a refund through MBG?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

imastawka
Honored Contributor
8 REPLIES 8

imastawka
Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

@mojorising44 wrote:

But cash payments don't work with the eBay commission system

Why?  Last time I did a local pickup cash worked fine

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

If you can't go there and inspect the item and pay cash or the seller want payment first before you go there then my advice would be to forget the whole thing.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Oh for heaven's sake - click on Stawks link.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@mojorising44 wrote:..
But cash payments don't work with the eBay commission system

When I've had cash on pick up sales, ebay simple deduct their fees/commission from my bank account.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Duh..............

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

^^^^^Thanks for the link Stawka. Very useful.

^^^Thanks Jack. Did not realise I could pay cash direct to seller F2F at pickup. That works best I think.

^^^^Can be more complicated Ratman when the item is an auction and is further away than would warrant a casual pre-bidding inspection but is within driveable distance for a successful auction bid. In that sitiuation you are likely to want to get eyeballs on it after successfully winning but before paying

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

You are not going to be able to arrange an inspection before buying, not on ebay. The seller could be in big trouble for giving out his address as ebay would think that maybe he was trying to arrange a sale off ebay to avoid fees.

But you can buy a pick up item & arrange to pay cash. Then when you go there, inspect the item first before you pay. If you don't like it, walk away, don't pay.

I once did that with an item that was not as described.

Some people who buy a pick up only item do pay with eg paypal first but I have always just paid cash on pick up items. Fewer  potential hassles that way.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply