MISLEADING GALLERY PHOTOS - QUICK SOLUTION FOR EBAY !

Hi , a few times I've reported sellers re misleading photos being used in listings. Mainly it is the Gallery photo that catches buyers notice ..some sellers then do the right thing & include photos closer to the actual item .. some don't ..

This is so frustrating to me as a buyer ..it wastes my time ..I am concerned which version I will get ..usually no reply to this question the the seller ...so its a risk buying , though the case is usually all the other sellers are doing the same thing. I think 

it is assumed that if the item is low in price is should be expected that there will be mistakes or flaws.

The other common thing is the S&B trick of showing a photo of an expensive thing with a low price, which oyu find out later is for usually something completely different eg a glass cleaning cloth in a listing for Sun Glasses.

Well.. I have a simple , easy solution for Ebay to fix this problem ! ..

Just a New Rule, that the Gallery Photo HAS to be the item that MATCHES the price being shown & the ACTUAL item.

There is no way around this I can see .. what do you think ? 

thanks 🙂 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

A lot of sellers use variations in their listings which is acceptable policies so your new rule wouldn't work, and yes it's frustrating when you find an item at a price you like only to find the actual item you want is more expensive when you select it from the drop downs on the listing page!

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

As most of eBay is automated it would be difficult to have software policing and making those decisions.

Not to mention the listings mistakenly pulled down.

Unfortunately there will always be those looking for a way around to an easy buck.

Never pays in the long run though.

image host
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@blue*nile wrote:

Just a New Rule, that the Gallery Photo HAS to be the item that MATCHES the price being shown & the ACTUAL item.

Sellers would then just upload one gallery photo, or create a superflous variation to avoid variation images being shown in search results (the reason why that would prevent your idea from working is detailed below). 

eBay sort of used to do something like you suggest. I'm a seller who has been using variation listings (correctly and within policies 😄 ) since they were first introduced, and at first if you created a listing for something and had different photos uploaded to different variations, that variation's photo would show in search results if the keywords from that specific variation were used in search (the main gallery photo would display if only keywords from the main title matched, though).

For example, say I had some t-shirts, all the same brand but available in different sizes and colours, then uploaded a pic for each colour. Someone searching for a blue t shirt would have seen the blue pic, even if it wasn't the main gallery image. But it hasn't worked like that for a good couple of years now. Either the functionality wasn't worth the upkeep, or the rampant abuse of the format caused other problems for them to continue with that idea. 

I suspect part of the reason why is because you can have multiple variations, but can only upload images for one variation, which is selected during the listing stage (you can set it to only show the main gallery images no matter what selections are available, or you can choose to have one aspect represented by different images, so in the t-shirt example you can upload pics that will change according to size selection, or pics that will change according to colour selection). Let's say I not only have these t-shirts in different colours and sizes, but there's a range of graphics available for each colour / size. It's impossible for me to upload a photo to show each available combination. 

When you translate these techincal limitations to someone misusing the format, it ultimately means it's easier to misuse. 

Another alternative would be to limit price variations, which would put an end to sellers being able to have a $1 item in a listing where everything else is $20+, but it would also put an end to quantity variation listings, which eBay's own store uses (the packaging supplies one, where you can buy something like 20, 50, 100, or 200 envelopes or somesuch). 

The ideal solution would be for ebay to actually enforcfe their own policies surrounding these listings, end the ones who are clearly in breach of those policies, and impose account restrictions on repeat offenders. 

They don't do that, though. And if you ask them why not, they usually claim the majority of sellers doing it are in other countries and eBay AU has no jurisdiction over sites in other countries. (It boggles the mind how they expect that logic to hold up to scrutiny, but there it is). 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

thanks, but it would still work.. I am suggesting that the price shown is for the Gallery photo only . so the listing can be for as many items the seller wants BUT they can't show a price of $1 with a Gallery photo of a $50 item. some sellers of manchester do this too. the price shown is for a pillow case , the photo a set of sheets. I know we would realise this is not the right price in this instance but why should we have to look at the listing to see the right price? this is surely S&B misuse. sometimes its a little higher price eg $8 for a handbag wherein the one in the photo is $20 & the $8 is for a purse. in both of these cases using my suggested rule , the Gallery photos would have to be of the pillow case & the purse respectively.   🙂

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

As most of eBay is automated it would be difficult to have software policing and making those decisions.

Not to mention the listings mistakenly pulled down.

Unfortunately there will always be those looking for a way around to an easy buck.

Never pays in the long run though.

I see your point but people not complying to a rule is not a reason not to have it. there are many rules on ebay that are broken daily more than once. we can only rely on the fact that where this rule is made sellers will be held accountable for misleading buyers. at the moment there is nothing to stop them. this has been going on for as long as Ive been a member & surely longer. by accepting that it is too difficult to police we are accepting their behaviour. ebay did make new rules re photos but they didnt cover this issue. while there is no rule to stop sellers doing this we the buyers continue to waste our time & in some cases money. where there is a rule , surely so simple, the Gallery photo has to match the price shown, no matter what other items are also in the listing.. only by being able to report these sellers can changes be made as they may reconsider their deception. thanks 🙂

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@blue*nile wrote:

Sellers would then just upload one gallery photo, or create a superflous variation to avoid variation images being shown in search results (the reason why that would prevent your idea from working is detailed below). 

eBay sort of used to do something like you suggest. I'm a seller who has been using variation listings (correctly and within policies 😄 ) since they were first introduced, and at first if you created a listing for something and had different photos uploaded to different variations, that variation's photo would show in search results if the keywords from that specific variation were used in search (the main gallery photo would display if only keywords from the main title matched, though).

For example, say I had some t-shirts, all the same brand but available in different sizes and colours, then uploaded a pic for each colour. Someone searching for a blue t shirt would have seen the blue pic, even if it wasn't the main gallery image. But it hasn't worked like that for a good couple of years now. Either the functionality wasn't worth the upkeep, or the rampant abuse of the format caused other problems for them to continue with that idea. 

I suspect part of the reason why is because you can have multiple variations, but can only upload images for one variation, which is selected during the listing stage (you can set it to only show the main gallery images no matter what selections are available, or you can choose to have one aspect represented by different images, so in the t-shirt example you can upload pics that will change according to size selection, or pics that will change according to colour selection). Let's say I not only have these t-shirts in different colours and sizes, but there's a range of graphics available for each colour / size. It's impossible for me to upload a photo to show each available combination. 

When you translate these techincal limitations to someone misusing the format, it ultimately means it's easier to misuse. 

Another alternative would be to limit price variations, which would put an end to sellers being able to have a $1 item in a listing where everything else is $20+, but it would also put an end to quantity variation listings, which eBay's own store uses (the packaging supplies one, where you can buy something like 20, 50, 100, or 200 envelopes or somesuch). 

The ideal solution would be for ebay to actually enforcfe their own policies surrounding these listings, end the ones who are clearly in breach of those policies, and impose account restrictions on repeat offenders. 

They don't do that, though. And if you ask them why not, they usually claim the majority of sellers doing it are in other countries and eBay AU has no jurisdiction over sites in other countries. (It boggles the mind how they expect that logic to hold up to scrutiny, but there it is). 

hi, I see your point too BUT I am not suggesting the listing can't have multiple items , merely that the main Gallery photo is of the price shown next to it on a search page. all the policies ebay have in place do not cover this. so we get a low price & a high price item in the photo. It wastes my time no end. I no longer report them as I am told there are repercussions only to see the same listing later or the initial one not removed. money is the key to all. please read my other replies to posters ..let me know what you think .. cheers 🙂 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I do understand what you are saying, if there's a $1 variation and that has a gallery image, that should be displayed in the search results if the $1 price is being displayed. 

What I was trying to say is that the way variation listings are set up, this functionality would be extremely easy to skirt around, making it a fruitless venture, unfortunately (sellers don't need to upload photos for variations, and if they do upload, they don't have to set them to specific variations, and if they do set them to specific variations, they can create and select a different variation to become the display images). The idea sounds feasible, but eBay's search engine is also not sophisticated enough to handle it at this point in time.

Partly because of the above, and partly because of category functionality as well. By which I mean (if I continue with my t-shirt example), I could create a listing for the t-shirts but include something like a spare button in the listing for $1, eBay automatically classifies that variation as a t-shirt, because the listing itself is in the t-shirt category. 

The reason why that makes a difference is because no matter what keywords are used in the title, variation or description, the category itself is added as a keyword to each and every title / variation. In other words, if I listed a blue button in the t-shirt category just on its own, and made the title simply "blue button", eBay's search engine goes "blue button > t-shirt category, thus blue button is a t-shirt", then if someone searches "blue t-shirt" eBay thinks it's showing a relevant result and will show the listing that just says "blue button".

That means when you search for an iPhone and someone has a cheap case as a variation in the listing, eBay's search engine "thinks" it is showing you an iPhone for $5, and "thinks" that images of iPhones are therefore all good. 

Category, site and variation functionality would have to change quite a bit to make the suggestion workable, and I suspect give eBay's track record, they would opt to remove the option over policing and / or improving it.

In saying all that, one thing that might wipre out the practice is eBay's move to a different way to display products, which will be based on product identifiers rather than categories and keywords. A product identifier is unique to a specific item,  and rather than see 100 listings in a row for the same model phone, people will see just one product listing, and have to click on it to see various options for sellers and prices available - a phone case won't have the same product identifier as the phone itself, thus that product (theoretcially) will be separated from the listing for the phone. This change is happening slowly, but it is happening. 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Multiple item listings should be for items where an aspect of the item varies (ie colour or size) but the price doesn't vary considerably. For example a shirt available in S, M and L and 6 different colours.

I too get frustrated when you look at a listing, for example a watch, the gallery pic and description suggest the item is a watch, the listing is $5 and you look at it and the $5 item is a gift box for said watch which is $99. There's no way to filter that out either.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply