New Ebay Store Layout is Unusable

The new ebay store layout is impossible to use on a mobile device; specifically iphone.

When I visit an ebay store now, it defaults to the mobile version of the store; which, in this new layout lists 1-48 of 10,000 listings organised by “best match” (best match on no search results, i just went to the store front page).

All the item sub-headings for items and shoved down at the bottom of the page; you click on any of them and nothing happens.

So, I click on the “classic site” option at the very bottom of the screen to switches to desktop mode.

Everything zooms out and i can see my 1-48 of 10,000 listings, still organised by best match (of no search results) and all the sub-headings are to the left of screen; which is how they were on the desktop version of the old layout.

Ok! My favourites shortcut used to default to the desktop version of the store in the old layout. So you’re already wasting my time.

Now, because I do not have 20/10 telescopic vision with zoom and enhance, the sub-headings are all tiny and barely readable.

No worries, since mobile devices have their own pinch-and-zoom; only, when I attempt this, all the sub-headings vanish and i’m zoomed into a white background where they used to be.

Zoom back out and they’re still gone half the time. The other half they come back but are as unreadable as they were before.

How hard is it to design a webpage that works?

The old layout worked fine, and it didn’t have pretentious design cues; how bout we ditch the blue squares and go back to a website that is functional on mobile devices.

It’s bad enough that eBay’s “my ebay” and “sell an item” mobile layouts are near schizophrenic with their options; sometimes there’s an option to revise your item, sometimes there isn’t... it’s the same page both times.

Is eBay trying to make their website harder to use? Just so we download their stupid app?

How bout NO ebay.

I’ve already decided to hang on to my money instead of impulse buying in this one instant of grinding annoyance with the new store layout; i foresee many great savings for myself in the future if eBay’s layout continues to be this user unfriendly.

Seriously, it wasn’t broken and you didn’t need to fix it; you’re as bad a apple and their proto-hipster device settings you cannot disable.
Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@tungstensteve wrote:
[...] eBay’s “my ebay” and “sell an item” mobile layouts are near schizophrenic with their options [...]

Hello, tungstensteve,

Your vivid description made me laugh (with black humour - and with you, not at you, I hasten to add!).

I have just checked on my iPhone, and I am fortunate enough not to experience the problems you have described. I always click onto "Full" (as I don't like the mobile design at all).

Have you tried clearing the cache on Safari? Or perhaps download (if you've not already done so) additional browsers such as Firefox and Chrome? I tend to use Firefox, and did find that Safari was occasionally "buggy" for various websites.

Agreed - you shouldn't have to look for workarounds, and eBay should indeed stop tinkering...

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

It may well be that they haven't finished tweaking things yet. Last week they switched a lot of stores to the new format but promptly changed them back again, which sounds to me as though they found a lot of things weren't working properly.
Message 3 of 3
Latest reply