Order cancelled without a reason given

Hi eBay,

Just querying as to why a seller is able to cancel an order without a reason given, when it turns out that they were not out of stock of the item?

I received a refund which I had to wait 3 days or so to get back via PayPal, and then waited 7 days before leaving them negative feedback. When they cancelled my order I messaged them asking why they had cancelled the order without giving a reason, they never responded.

After I left negative feedback, they replied saying they wouldn't do business with someone who used abusive language against them. In the message I sent them AFTER they had cancelled my order I said f**k once as in 'f**k over your customer'. So what gives? I thought cancelling orders on buyers was a no no? Particularly ones who have been with eBay for over a decade with 100% postive feedback? How do you address this with your sellers?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

A seller can cancel any time if they wish to.

And yes your language will not be tolerated by a seller or by ebay.

And if the seller realises that they can have the feedback removed then they will do it.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Ebay don't read here, I don't address it as I do not have sellers, I like everyone else here are simply members exactly like you and have no control over what other sellers do

you will need to phone eBay or use live cheat if you want to address ebay staff on the issue

But, as you mentioned it, buyers can only have 100% positive feedback as that is all sellers can leave them so every single member who is a buyer only can only ever have 100% positive feedback

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

So a seller can cancel your order without having a valid reason or advising you why it was cancelled, and you have to wait for Pay Pal to refund you the money and that's that?

Note: I ordered item, paid same day, then seller cancels order suddenly. I had not messaged them or anything. You are saying they are allowed to do this if they still have stock of the item?

This is the first seller I have had any issues with in over 15 years of buying on eBay.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Don't know why you bought from that seller.

Didn't you read the feedback?

Too many negs for my liking.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Well no one knows the reason for the cancellation, could be O.O.S., could have dropped and broken the item or saw a flaw in it on packing, could have sold elswhere and forgot to take eBay listing down.

Even so, a message politely explaining why is courteous and the norm.

Most sellers on eBay are not professionals but people selling from home, in fact this could be a gentle housewife with a kid on each arm. So I must admit I would be surprised if someone used the F word in any context as I have never used it in my entire life.

But overall, poorly dealt with by the seller and the neg may make them think twice next time.

Best to move on.

(As mentioned,  4 negs and 2 neuts, would have bought elsewhere)

image host
Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Yes a seller can cancel without any reason,I've had so many sellers cancel on me ( I got an item cheaply) but as I've been on ebay for as long as you have I just move on to the next decent seller,that's all I'm interested in doing as I couldn't be bothered as there are many more sellers to buy from.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

The listing has been cancelled.

I suspect the seller sold you something they didn't have and that earns them a defect.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Not necessarily stawks, because a seller just has to say there's something wrong with the buyers address and bam transaction is cancelled without any defect lol.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Fair enough. It's more annoying than anything as though the seller refunded, it then took 3-4 days before the money hit my account due to Pay Pal.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply