Over charged on postage

I am someone who use to think that people shouldn't complain about postage once they buy an item as they know how much they are charging.
The problem is sometimes I think the sellers are trying it on.
I purchased a dress and postage was $18 ok I thought because its mostly lace I expected it box and well packed.
It came scrunched in a eBay 500g parcel with no so much as a shopping bag to stop the lace from sticking to the seal.
So I emailed the seller who said that they were going to express it until they found out it would fit into the 500g parcel. Is it to much for me to expect them to refund the difference.
Normally I would not fuss but its a big difference for little care taken.
When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Over charged on postage

Sorry for double post ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 2 of 60
Latest reply

No I think it is good to pull up those that need it.

I would probably do the same mostly out of principle if it arrived in a very shabby manner.

image host
Message 3 of 60
Latest reply

I agree - if we are paying more for postage, the seller should be taking better care with wrapping and sending.the item

I received an item from overseas where the postage was double what what the post office charged the seller and the wrapping (such as it was) was shabby recycled stuff held together with copious amounts of sticky tape.  Padding inside was non existent.  it was more luck than good judgement that my purchase wasn't damaged.  5 stars for postage and handling?  I don't think so.

Message 4 of 60
Latest reply

Why not? You got the item you bought, at the price you were prepared to pay, in advertised condition.

Are you aware that there are many postal services that don't appear on the stamps/postage label? In Australia, for example, SOD/Registered, insurance? Plus the fact that the seller is justified in adding a charge for their time, their packaging materials in preparing an item for postage.

Or is that their gift to you? After you've agreed to the overall price, and recieved the item in GOC, how does the actual amount of visible postage, bearing in mind my above points, have any bearing on the transaction? Except that you feel you can trash a seller's business standing on a whim?

THE TIME TO ASK QUESTIONS IS BEFORE PURCHASE. AND BUYER REMORSE IS NOT A VALID REASON TO LEAVE ADVERSE FEEDBACK

Message 5 of 60
Latest reply

if a buyer is paying postage we should get what we pay for and our items should be cared for when packing. In my case $11 for time and materials. Well nothing was uses other than the eBay parcel and is the time to shove something in a parcel really worth that.
So yes that should be taken into account when leaving stars. There are two questions.
Time posted
And cost of postage. So overcharging and re using packaging and lack of protection for our items when we pay for it under postage charges should be rated based on the service received for what we paid.
Message 6 of 60
Latest reply

Just a thought, Belinda, on your comment about "re using packaging"...

A lot of sellers, myself included, use recycled boxes, air bags, peanuts, whatever. Do you really think a seller should have their DSR's marked down because of that?

I've not had any complaints about using recycled stuff but l guess theres always a first time. Wouldn't of thought it mattered as long as the item arrived safely.

Message 7 of 60
Latest reply

@belindabargainhunter wrote:
postage was $18 ok I thought because its mostly lace I expected it box and well packed.
It came scrunched in a eBay 500g parcel with no so much as a shopping bag to stop the lace from sticking to the seal.
So I emailed the seller who said that they were going to express it until they found out it would fit into the 500g parcel. Is it to much for me to expect them to refund the difference.
Normally I would not fuss but its a big difference for little care taken.

I would ask the seller for a part refund for postage, in that case.    

Message 8 of 60
Latest reply

I am not a person who expects postage costs to equal only the cost the PO charged. I understand packaging and sticky tape and the seller's time should all be taken into account.

$18 for a 500g parcel though, without so much as a plastic bag to stop lace sticking to the seal, might be over the top.

Had I been the seller, I think I would have at least folded it neatly and wrapped it nicely, perhaps with some tissue.

You've done all the right things-messaged the seller to let them know your concern.

They are entitled not to refund any postage costs, but you are also entitled to mark them down on that category.

Message 9 of 60
Latest reply

I would very cross indeed to to pay postage and handling of $18 in expectation that I would be receiving a suitably packed garment, and instead receive a post service with actual costs of no more than $7.40 at most, and maybe give or take a dollar or two extra for label printing, paper etc -with no care taken with the garment being stuffed into a satchel.

It is post piracy, no ifs or buts from my perspective.  Belinda, as you are aware you have paid more than twice the cost of the actual service used - ouch !! 

Whilst some buyers take the "total price - goods+post " approach, others, including myself, don't. 

If a seller lists post and handling costs additional to the item cost, I expect to get an appropriate post and handling service for the $$$ I have paid.

IMO the seller walks a fine line in terms of breaching ebay post and handling policy as well as the circumventing ebay fees policy. I would report them,

10 bucks profit on post costs for every sale they make with no ebay fees taken, come-on, not good for this trading place at all. In line with ebay policy, a sellers profit margin needs to be rolled into the item price, not the post charge.

If no refund was forthcoming from the seller for the overpaid post with an apology for their :"oversight".  I personally would leave low DSRs for post and handling, and maybe even a neutral weighing up my satisfaction with the transaction overall.

Message 10 of 60
Latest reply