Overcharging on postage

I recently purchased some trousers and when they arrived the postage was only $6.60 even though the seller had stated it was $11.50. They came wrapped in some brown paper and a plastic bag. I emailed the seller and said that I thought it was a bit expensive and she said that all eBayers overcharge postage to cover for interstate costs and that she was really time pressed and that she had more urgent things to think about than refunding me. I was taken aback, because I go out of my way to make postage as cheap as possible. I also told her about the postage calculator by postcode that she could use. She thinks I am just an unhappy eBayer and stated so. She has a 100% feedback and I am reluctant to give her a negative. I also stated that in her listing she should state that her postage covers all states. What do you think?

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Overcharging on postage

"buyer is an unhappy eBayer"

Well that is stating the blooming obvious

NEG her ... she ripped you off

Rubbish. Consider an analogy... You get 2 quotes to get your house painted, and they each quote you:

A) $1000 materials and $2200 labour

B) $1500 materials and $1500 labour

You decide to choose B) because it has the cheapest total price, and they do the job fantastically well. You are really happy... but then you notice some paper thing lying in the corner.

It's the painter's invoice from their paint supplier... and it shows that the painter only paid $800 for the paint, yet they charged you $1500 for materials. What THE...??? X-(

Do you rant and rave and complain like a pork chop that you got "ripped off" by your painter?

Or do you think about it logically, and realise that you are totally happy that the person gave you exactly what you paid for, at the best total price.

Put another way - what does it matter whether the seller makes "profit" on the item or the postage? You chose that seller SPECIFICALLY because they gave you the best overall deal. Using my painter analogy, you cannot expect the Materials cost of A) and the Labour cost of B) - it's only the TOTAL quote that matters.

Message 21 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

Put another way - what does it matter whether the seller makes "profit" on the item or the postage? You chose that seller SPECIFICALLY because they gave you the best overall deal. Using my painter analogy, you cannot expect the Materials cost of A) and the Labour cost of B) - it's only the TOTAL quote that matters.

and further to that analogy . . . . . you would not be entitled to a $700 refund when you found that the painter paid less for the paint than what was itemised for materials in the quote.

Same as this eBay case, buyer accepted the 'Total Spend' amount, some of which was P&H.

Overcharging on postage

nouveau_retro
Community Member

the problem in this case stems from the post label stating 6.60 on the parcel (would not have occurred with an auspost 'postage paid' stamp). same would be occurring if OP found a docket from an oppie in the jeans pocket stating seller bought those cheaper too.

I know lots of people who buy designer clothes $1-$5 from oppies to resell. if the buyers knew the sellers costs they'd be wanting the same price as bought at, same principle. admin tacitly encourage negative public opining of 'postage pirates' as they make no fees from that component of the sale anyway.

However if buyer feels strongly enough they should not have bought. saying they expected same service from seller as they give to others is irrelevant, same as it is pointless for rest of us to expect exact same treatment from everyone in life. its 4.90 - the deal was a bargain- let it go. 

Message 23 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

happyshopping20091118
Community Member

Hello.Actually,you could ask part refund for the seller if you were sactisfied for the items.I think the seller might agree.

Just have a try.

Message 24 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

Hello.Actually,you could ask part refund for the seller if you were sactisfied for the items.I think the seller might agree.

Just have a try.

Happyshobncvhrewbq . . . .  really couldn't be bothered getting your eBay ID correct . . . . . your response is not helpful.  THIS SELLER WILL NOT AGREE.  Read the bl%^&^y opening post. 

You would have to rate as the MOST UNHELPFUL POSTER POSTING EXCRETA TEXT (MUPPET) that I have ever seen on these boards.  Stay in Hong Kong and STOP SPAMMING THESE BOARDS.

You are a MUPPET

Overcharging on postage

nouveau_retro
Community Member

at this point we'll take a break with an appropriate interlude ]:)

Message 26 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

Love it, got it playing in another window, clowns, jokers . . . LOL

Thanks nouveau

Overcharging on postage

Muppet :^O

Message 28 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

You are a MUPPET

Statler and Waldorf take offence to your analogy. :^O ๐Ÿ˜›