Overcharging on postage

I recently purchased some trousers and when they arrived the postage was only $6.60 even though the seller had stated it was $11.50. They came wrapped in some brown paper and a plastic bag. I emailed the seller and said that I thought it was a bit expensive and she said that all eBayers overcharge postage to cover for interstate costs and that she was really time pressed and that she had more urgent things to think about than refunding me. I was taken aback, because I go out of my way to make postage as cheap as possible. I also told her about the postage calculator by postcode that she could use. She thinks I am just an unhappy eBayer and stated so. She has a 100% feedback and I am reluctant to give her a negative. I also stated that in her listing she should state that her postage covers all states. What do you think?

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Overcharging on postage

my aplologies to Statler and Waldorf . . . offence was not intended.

Overcharging on postage

boggo58
Community Member

I dont mind sellers putting a little extra on postage but $5 more, comeon, and with that attitude, go and give a negative feed back and tell that person to stick it,  GIVE A NEGATIVE FEED BACK. your entitled to.

Message 32 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

aussie.imports
Community Member

Did you like the jeans? Were they worth $20.50 total? If so, you should be happy.

I agree with nouvo and coops, if you're not happy with the total price, don't bid/buy.

I need to paint my house now ๐Ÿ˜

Get down and dirty - Do it off road
Message 33 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

2 seperate issues

First, excessive postage, you agreed so no neg waranted, but good cause for low DSRs

Secondly, was communications dismissive and rude? If yes then neg/neut feedback may be justified on that ground along with low DSRs

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 34 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

Being a new seller, I can somewhat relate to the postage prices that some sellers are charging. As a buyer, I had no clue of the real cost of postage and just paid whatever it was. Now I'm selling, I've been down to the post office and seen the prices... postage, especially for international items, can be VERY expensive. For a seller with a cheap item, if they offer a postage cost too low, they'll LOSE money on a sale... For both the seller and buyer, it's not ideal, unless you have a very popular item that will sell no matter what the postage is.

In the OP's situation, you should do what's right. Give them a low score on postage and leave a note in the feedback about postage.

Message 35 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

Never defend a rip off artist. Do what you believe is right OP. It is not all right for any seller to charge extra if it isn't justifiable.

TCT
Message 36 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

I recently purchased some trousers and when they arrived the postage was only $6.60 even though the seller had stated it was $11.50. They came wrapped in some brown paper and a plastic bag. I emailed the seller and said that I thought it was a bit expensive and she said that all eBayers overcharge postage to cover for interstate costs and that she was really time pressed and that she had more urgent things to think about than refunding me. I was taken aback, because I go out of my way to make postage as cheap as possible. I also told her about the postage calculator by postcode that she could use. She thinks I am just an unhappy eBayer and stated so. She has a 100% feedback and I am reluctant to give her a negative. I also stated that in her listing she should state that her postage covers all states. What do you think?

Lets do some math

She charged you $4.90 handling.

Now lets assume time to pack, use of motor car, standing in line, driving back home etc...  lets say it took her 25 min.

I reckon $4.90 handling for 25 min is a bargain I would have charged you more.

Message 37 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

I can see your point and I agree that a lot of sellers charge much to high postage, for example $11 for sending a little piece of jewellery by normal mail. I try to charge just what it cost me, even so I have to pay for the package material and I have to drive to the post office. I think overcharging postage is not a very nice touch and a little dishonest. It would be more honest just to sell the item at a little higher price. It took me a while to work out the postal fees so. The trouble is that one can not even show once dissatisfaction in the feedback by ticking one less star, as the seller can use that as a reason to give a bad feedback.

Message 38 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

the seller can use that as a reason to give a bad feedback.

Sellers haven't been able to leave negative feedback for a number of years now

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 39 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

I can see your point and I agree that a lot of sellers charge much to high postage, for example $11 for sending a little piece of jewellery by normal mail. I try to charge just what it cost me, even so I have to pay for the package material and I have to drive to the post office. I think overcharging postage is not a very nice touch and a little dishonest. It would be more honest just to sell the item at a little higher price. It took me a while to work out the postal fees so. The trouble is that one can not even show once dissatisfaction in the feedback by ticking one less star, as the seller can use that as a reason to give a bad feedback.

The bottom line is price plus postage equals total price.

Unless the seller has very low volume they would not know where the low stars came from.

As patch said sellers can't leave negative feedback. A recent innovation, admittedly. I think it's only been about FOUR YEARS.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 40 of 57
Latest reply