Overseas Sales

I have just purchased an item believing it was an item stocked and sold in Australia. Upon purchasing the item,

I receive an email in German, then upon further investigation notice the item and seller are located well in Germany. Why are these sellers listing in the general description they are based in Australia. It's deceiving and should be banned. I don't have an issue with international sellers, I've bought from them before but the issue is I want the choice as to where I know my goods will be coming from. The item I ordered I wanted or needed it in a few days and this would have been the case if it was being posted from within Australia.

I feel Ebay need to redo the rules around this and it needs to be clear that on the listing page where the item is located and will be shipped from. I have tried to cancel the order but by the time i check my email and evidently the difference in the timezone I was unable to do so. I did send the buyer a message as to why they advertise the item being located in NSW when infact it's not but no response. 

Does anyone know if the ACCC are aware of this and if we have any protection as far as being a consumer goes. It's a very grey area obviously because your still receiving the product you purchase in the end, it's just coming from a location that you were not aware of.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Overseas Sales

The feedback page shows where a seller is registered

Their feedback will show if they lie about where items are posted from

The estimated delivery date shown before purchase is a dead giveaway 

No idea if the seller you have opted to buy from has a warehouse here or not

In any case everything a buyer needs to know is available prior to buying

No doubt the ACCC are well aware

The protection would be to read the information of concern prior to buying. It is one click/tap

And the usual tools if the item does not arrive by the last estimated delivery date or is not as described 

If this item was indeed listed as being sent from within Australia, but the email from the seller told you they are actually sending it from Germany, you can contact eBay and report that

What was the estimated delivery date for your item, and did the email give you a different date

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Overseas Sales

If it is the seller who left feedback for you in the past month, it might be possible that they have a warehouse in Australia. They don't have bad feedback, and nobody mentions that their item arrived from overseas in the neutral and negative feedback (although most of it is in German, so the buyers are probably in Germany too).

Some sellers really have warehouses here even if they are registered overseas (not all, but feedback is usually a good indicator).

Maybe you will also get an explanation from the seller. When did you send the seller a message? Because of the time difference, there might be a delay in their response.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Overseas Sales

The item in question is this listing.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/144526116285?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Then if I click here on postage details....

It states the item location is in Kemps Creek, Australia. So would that indicate it's an item that is in Australia?

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Overseas Sales

The estimated delivery also indicates that it is in Australia.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Overseas Sales

Ok, well I might be jumping the gun. I was just cautious as the emails I've received to confirm purchase ect have all been in German, then subsequently, as above, upon further investigation they're a German business.

I've asked for a tracking number so until I receive that I won't know anymore.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Overseas Sales

It indicates the seller says it is in Australia

The estimated delivery date would certainly indicate that to be true

But you stated that further investigation after getting the email lead you to discover that both the seller and the item are in Germany (not something other members can see so far as the actual item goes) 

As mentioned, the seller's feedback does not indicate they lie about where items are shipped from

The seller *could * very well have a warehouse in Kemps Creek where items are shipped out from

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Overseas Sales

There was one pos fb received for that item in the last month.

It states - 

great arrived as described and early arrival
Victron SmartShunt 500A/50mV battery monitor (#144526116285)
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply