POTENTIAL EXPOSURE BY EBAY regarding misleading advertising

I have encountered multiple sellers whose adverts do not adhere to Consumer Laws concerning misleading advertising. I would like to discuss with EBAY before putting in a complaint to the Consumer Authorities. I have spoken to the normal complaints department, who handle transactional deals.

The sellers are Australian and subject to Australian consumer laws.

They tell me there is no way to contact EBAY. I cannot believe this . It seems unfair for the company to be reported  to the authorities without having a chance to evaluate or correct the information. How do I get in touch with someone responsible. 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

So the sellers are registered businesses selling new goods, and are authorised resellers or manufacturers of same?

Knock yourself out with the ACCC. Please come back and tell us the result.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Whoever told you there is no way to contact eBay are full of bull

You can see for yourself eBay Help is at the top of every single page

IF the sellers really are indeed registered in Australia, go for it

To add

You will also note that every listing stated the seller is responsible for all listings

You will also note every listing has a report button

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

You better go straight to ACCC,  ebay will not be concerned or give you the time of day.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

I'm an Australian seller. I am not subjected to Australian Consumer Law. Why? Because I am not a business. I am a private seller. ACL only applies to businesses, and even then it depends on the business. 

You may want to check what category these terrible sellers fall into before you go making a nong of yourself. Or, call Dennis Denuto. He should be able to help. Or Judge Judy.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

@ferrer_1 wrote:

I have encountered multiple sellers whose adverts do not adhere to Consumer Laws concerning misleading advertising.  

Why do you believe they don't comply?   Bold statement no substance

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

@ferrer_1 wrote:

I have encountered multiple sellers whose adverts do not adhere to Consumer Laws concerning misleading advertising.  

Why do you believe they don't comply?   Bold statement no substance

Because "they know the law".........

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

What a load of BS.  Even private sellers have  to obey consumer law. Arrogant yes. Knowledgable ..?

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

No. Because I know the law. No, because I have spoken to the Dept of Fair Trading who have agreed with my understanding of the law. 

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

The report button covers the individual transaction. The seller has refunded the money. The issue is that legally EBAY cannot fob say that the seller is responsible for the offer. For the price etc yes.

But there are at least 39 instances of the same misleading advertising. EBAY is the site that displays that. They are responsible for what they display to the customers. They run a business, not  a service and must obey the law.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply