Paid cash on pickup, was then charged via PayPal

I bought an item last weekend and seller agreed to take cash on pickup.

When I checked my bank account later in the week I found that I had been charged by PayPal for the purchase, so I have paid twice.

Seller agreed to refund me but over the last few days nothing has been refunded into my PayPal account and I suspect he has no intention of refunding.

I have submitted a PayPal case but want to know how this happens as I have never had any issues in years of eBay/PayPal use. Keen to make sure it does not happen again.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal cannot charge you and don't take out of your account unless you selected to pay with PayPal.

You must have gone through checkout after the sale.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Urgh, maybe I did, I was in a rush at the time. 😞
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

You will need to keep messaging seller and let him know all he needs to do is log into PayPal and click refund.

It takes 20 seconds.

If the seller doesn't refund within 48 hours then I would inform the seller you will contact ACORN and provide the seller with this link.

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

image host
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks for that, will see how I go. Much appreciated. 🙂

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

You will need to keep messaging seller and let him know all he needs to do is log into PayPal and click refund.

It takes 20 seconds.

If the seller doesn't refund within 48 hours then I would inform the seller you will contact ACORN and provide the seller with this link.

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

The issue I see here, is proving that the buyer also paid by cash on pickup. Unless he has a receipt of some sort, from the seller stating cash payment, then I don’t think acorn will be able to do anything about it.  It’s a he said/she said scenario. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply