PayPal - pay after delivery option gone

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has the same problem as me? Last month I used PayPals Pay After Delivery option to pay for a few transactions and everything went through fine. Yesterday I purchased a few items from sellers thinking that I would be able to use the Pay After Delivery option again, but, even though this is my preferred payment option in my PayPal settings, the Pay After Delivery option is gone. I rang PayPal and the woman checked that my bank account was my Primary Confirmed and that my Credit Card was my Primary Confirmed, both of which are, I'm also PayPal Verified, the lady tried to overide the system to allow me to get the Pay After Delivery option again, but it would'nt let her, then she told me to try paying again in a few hours time. I've tried to pay more than once since yesterday, but I still don't have my Pay After Delivery option.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paypal contacted me in regards to it and apparently you can only use this option on some transactions. The seller is payed straight away by PayPal and then PayPal takes the funds from your bank account 21 days after.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I've never even heard of it. How does that work? Does the seller have to wait until you get the item to be paid? if so then stoof that!
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Are you referring to the Paypal Bill Me Later service - this option is usually only available in the US.

By chance were the previous items you purchased which you were able to pay for later from the US?

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

I've heard of Paypal holding the payment until buyer receives item BUT I think it's for a specific reason in relation to the seller ie high priced item and no selling history or something.

Never heard of anything else even remotely resembling what OP is asking in relation to a Paypal 'service'.COD is the only thing I can think of but that's an AP service.

(shrugs shoulders and looks bewildered )

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

@jensmanchester wrote:

Are you referring to the Paypal Bill Me Later service - this option is usually only available in the US.

By chance were the previous items you purchased which you were able to pay for later from the US?

Jen, that was my 1st thought ie US seller but I quickly scrolled through OP's feedback at random and it's all from Australian sellers.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

This reply is to all responders to this post.  Probably about 12 months ago, maybe a little longer,  the 'pay after delivery' option began appearing during paypal checkout.  I am a buyer only. I have used this facility many times, definitely on purchases from Australian sellers and maybe also from US sellers but can't quite remember.  How it works is that when you complete checkout you are given the option to have the payment deducted from your nominated account 21 days down the track.  Paypal send you reminders etc as this date is approaching.  The seller definitely receives their payment immediately.  Paypal state somewhere that the payment will be processed in 21 days unless for whatever reason the buyer has opened a dispute during the intervening time.  They claim that the delayed payment facility allows buyers to receive and inspect their goods prior to payment actually being deducted from their account.

What I have noted when using this facility is :

- you can't seem to fund the delayed payment via a credit card (only my savings account appears to be an option here)

- it is not available on each and every purchase ( I don't know what the criteria are), but I have found that the 21 day option appears on around 95% of my payments.  You don't know if it is available on a particular purchase until you go to pay via paypal.

- it doesn't seem to be available for paypal payments for purchases not made via Ebay

- also prior to Christmas when purchasing more often it appeared that after a certain amount of $ or purchases the option no longer became available.  Maybe there is a certain level in place for any one buyer, not sure.

These comments outline my experience with the 21 day payment option.  Others may have different experiences.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

I vaguely remember something about Pay After Delivery, so did a quick google - apparently, when going through checkout, some buyers will have this option and while PayPal pays the seller straight away, they don't attempt to debit the buyer's bank account until 2 weeks or so later (it won't work or be available if there are enough funds in the buyer's account to cover the purchase, presumably). 

Considering PP's terms and conditions, which basically mean that if PayPal provide credit to a buyer like this, they actually treat the transaction as though they provided credit to the seller if something goes wrong, as a seller I find the idea a bit scary the 'I wish I was saying something different' face (with apologies to the OP, I mean that in general, so do not intend it to be taken personally).

I can't actually help, I haven't been able to glean much from a quick bit of research except that a lot of people experience exactly the same thing (i.e. there's lots of forum threads with a lot of people in various countries saying that they had this option available for ages, then all of a sudden they no longer were able to use it - there's even a few threads on the PayPal help forums, but I didn't see a reply from a PP rep.) 

I tried to find more info on the PayPal help pages etc, but all I could find there was one line that referenced Pay On Delivery in their payment options, so I think calling PayPal is the only chance you'll have of getting anything clarified. 

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

@foxette-in-sox wrote:

I've heard of Paypal holding the payment until buyer receives item BUT I think it's for a specific reason in relation to the seller ie high priced item and no selling history or something.

Never heard of anything else even remotely resembling what OP is asking in relation to a Paypal 'service'.COD is the only thing I can think of but that's an AP service.

(shrugs shoulders and looks bewildered )

Glad I'm not alone here LOLSmiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too use this pay after delivery option (21 days). Every now and then it goes/dissappears. I can only guess if there are a lot of items purchased in a short space of time the option gets stopped. I noticed once all the outstanding items are paid to paypal the pay after option returns after a week or two. But this is my experience.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

WOW, that option would have to be fraut with danger for both the seller and buyer, particularlly the seller IMO

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply