Paypal dispute assistance

Hi, I recently made a purchase from the UK and when the items arrived, which were all individually sent, 6 out of the 9 boxes were significantly damaged.

I tried resolving it with the seller, to no avail so opened a dispute.  Paypal have said my claim is successful and that I need to return the items.

I know I have read on here somewhere in regards to this issue but can't find the answer I am looking for.  Sending the 9 boxes back to the UK is going to cost me well over $90 for a $380 transaction.

Is there anyway around this???  I'm thinking that it would be less effort for me to try and sell the damaged items off for a reduced price, rather than boxing them up, sending them back only to be still out of pocket $90.    The item I bought is lego, and in the lego selling business, the boxes are just as important to a lot of people as is the contents inside.  The contents aren't damaged but the boxes are significantly damaged and therefore no collectors would buy them.

Anyone have any advice??

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If the cartons were packed properly but damaged during shipment have you tried claiming through Australia Post? You would need to complete a claim form and take the original shipping cartons and all packaging and the contents to your local PO. They will take the lot including contents and send with the claim form to be assessed. Claims usually take a couple of weeks to be processed.

If the return postage is too expensive and the items are collectable sets then you have a couple of options to sell them. List them as used (new parts but with no box), list as new with Damaged Box clearly in the title and description or part out the set and sell the parts individually.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I know that I can sell them on but I will be lucky to break even with them. I could probably get cost minus the $90 postage back but it defeats the purpose. I would be better opening them and selling the items off inside, they are advent calendars individually as these items are only available in these calendars.

The packaging was inadequate for a soft lego box. They would have been damaged by having other mail on top of them, but they should have been in better packaging.

Why would I go through Aus Post if Paypal have already agreed to the claim? I'm confused by that.

I just thought I remembered reading on here somewhere that sometimes paypal will allow you not to send the product back if postage is too high. I have rung paypal and they are saying they won't do that.

Hoping someone who has gone through a similar experience knows how I can get around sending them back.
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

@wardy079 wrote:

I just thought I remembered reading on here somewhere that sometimes paypal will allow you not to send the product back if postage is too high. I have rung paypal and they are saying they won't do that.

on a $380 transaction I would think that postage would need to be significantly more than $90 before they would give you a refund without having to send it back.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Ok thanks.
$25 or $200 still sucks when it is their fault
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Yes it sucks but those are Papal's rules which should always be taken into account when buying from overseas. You may be able to persuade Paypal that the cost of return is disproportionate to the value but I don't think you will get anywhere, they usually only reluctantly agree to that if the net refund is going to be at or approaching zero.

Any half decent seller would have offered you a partial refund or to pay the cost of return but they don't have to and as this seller has sown now they can reap the neg you are going to leave them. Keep it factual "Inadequate packaging, seller wants broken items back at high postage cost" or similar.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks phorum_junkie, I have previously bought from this seller and the packaging was awesome so I thought I would make a larger order.

It just sucks
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply