Paypal have asked me to file a Police report, the police have said "no"

Hi, I have received an email from paypal asking me to file a police report.

I bought 11 records from a seller in Germany a few months ago.

One records was missing from the order. Two of the records sleeves were damaged due to bad packing.

The seller had promised to send out a new record and replacement sleeves, but after waiting and waiting, i received nothing.

By this time it was too late to put in an ebay dispute, but I was however, able to open a paypal dispute.

I rang paypal and spoke to them. They seemed all to happy to help. I was just going to claim for the record that did not arrive, but the lady I spoke to encouraged me to claim for the two damaged sleeves as well.

The email I received from paypal has asked me to file a police report. I went to the police station this morning and was told that they will not get involved.

It would be tempting to drop the whole thing, because the stress is not worth it. But at the same time I want to pursue it as a matter of principle.

Has any one been a similar situation? 

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Paypal have asked me to file a Police report, the police have said "no"

When you get the form read it carefully....it is not difficult but if you make a mistake it will be invalid.

Different states have different rules about who can witness them.   Here in NSW you can use a JP (often found in Post Offices, Chemists etc) your local doctor, chemist, police station.

You can get a full list on Google as well as the Attorney General's site.

If you need to know anything that you cannot find on Google you can PM me...my daughter is a JP and has been for 25 years.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

there is quite a bit of information available on the net.

No need to go to a newsagent, I found this for the state of Victoria stat dec:

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/home/justice+system/legal+assistance/statutory+declarations/  . . . . . and this

http://assets.justice.vic.gov.au/justice/resources/655adb6d-a406-40f5-ba66-81fb306b047d/statutory-de...

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

while I have no legal training or expertise, I have read up a bit about some legal matters at various times while trying to help members on these boards in the past.

For a stat dec you should include all relevant information, but in a factual way. Keep your emotions out of it.

Based on you previous thread, I would think that your declaration might be along these lines to meet PayPal requirements:

I purchased 11 (eleven) vinyl records from eBay seller XXXXXXXXX located in Germany using my eBay ID feedme-ifudare during the month of XXXXXX in 2017.  Payment was made using PayPal.

Of the 11 records/items bought, only 10 have been received by me on XX/XX/2017.
The missing record was from item number XXXXXXXXXXXX purchased for $XX on XX/XX/2017.
When the package arrived, I immediately contacted the seller and they told me that they would send out the missing record.
Further communications with the seller indicated that they have not sent the missing record, and the seller is now not responding to any of my messages as at XX/05/2017.

Once you have the stat dec done you should make a PayPal claim and upload a scan or photo of the stat dec.

Hopefully there will be some reader of this thread who can add to the advice already offered so that you increase your chances of succeeding in your claim.  It might be worthwhile to wait a few days before making that PayPal claim, just in case someone else offers alternate advice in the next day or so that might better suit your needs.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

sorry, just re-read your opening post.

As you have already opened a PayPal case you should do the stat dec as soon as possible, get it witnessed, and upload a scan/pic of it to your PayPal case.  

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

@feedme-ifudare wrote:

Has any one been a similar situation? 

This issue may have been resolved already, but I thought I'd mention that although I personally have not been in this particular situation, it is common practice for PayPal to request a police report in these kinds of cases, and I do personally know other people where they had to go through that process (the difference being that the sellers were located in Australia, and the police took the report).

All PayPal want is the case number to evidence that a report was made, so I'm wondering if the police said 'no' because they can't accept a report made on a person located internationally, or if it was because it would pretty much end at the report and therefore they deemed it a waste of time (I know ACORN accepts reports where the other party is located overseas, and those reports are usually handed over to the police, so it's worth checking into the actual reason why they said no, if the stat dec does not satisfy PayPal). 

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

sutraino_0
Community Member
Paypal are aware that there is an increase in scammer activity right now. If you are asked to do something like this by paypal it is to help the greater community by making it harder for scammers to succeed. What you need to do is lodge an incident with the ACCC scamwatch site, fill in the details, get a fike summary reference and then message oaypal with that reference via a screenshot. Once you have done this, they will almost certainly close the case in your favour because you have reported your matter to the official scamwatch site.
I just did this and payoal refunded straight away. Its not difficult so give it a try. Hope this helps
Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

@sutraino_0 wrote:
Paypal are aware that there is an increase in scammer activity right now. If you are asked to do something like this by paypal it is to help the greater community by making it harder for scammers to succeed. What you need to do is lodge an incident with the ACCC scamwatch site, fill in the details, get a fike summary reference and then message oaypal with that reference via a screenshot. Once you have done this, they will almost certainly close the case in your favour because you have reported your matter to the official scamwatch site.
I just did this and payoal refunded straight away. Its not difficult so give it a try. Hope this helps

Highly unlikely. Paypal's buyer protection lasts 180 days, not 1200+.

And even if this thread was current, the seller is in Germany, so not subject to Australian law.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply