Paypal no option to change to own Bank's conversion rate

Today i bought something on ebay that was listed in british pound. I have a 28 degrees card linked to my paypal account which is fantastic to use for purchases in other currencies and for travel. I noticed at checkout it already showed the rate converted into australian dollars and there was no option to pay in my bank's exhange rate?? Also in my paypal account it did something similar to a recent purchase i made with steam, showing it was converted and was paid in AUD instead of USD so im assuming it was "paypal'" conversion and not my bank's?

By default my paypal account is already setup to pay with my card and the mechant's rate under "My Account -> Profile -> My Money -> My preapproved payments -> Update -> See Available Funding Sources (or Set Available Funding Sources) -> Conversion Options (for card you'd like to change this option)-> Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice -> Submit"

I have contacted paypal and they said there should be an option to change the conversion, have sent them an image of a dummy purchase to show there was no such option. Just curious if anyone has noticed this and wether there is something fishy going on with paypal?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You're buying with PayPal so I'd expect it to use their conversion. Unless it's a big difference why fuss?
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

In the past paypal gave you the option to use your own Bank's conversion which works out a whole lot cheaper than using paypal's, it can add up to several dollars on multiple purchases and what would be the point using an international friendly credit card linked to paypal if you cannot reap the benefits? This option used to be under "payment method-other conversion options".

Examples: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/mu9sdevplvtn8q7/Paypal1.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/wjg4i3rjgml67oo/Paypal2.jpg?dl=0  

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Then option was still there when I paid a UK invoice last night.

I think it depends on whether you are using the new checkout or the old one.

I never bother to change who does the conversion now....over many years I have found that paypal is marginally cheaper than my bank so I just let it go through.

My bank charges a separate conversion fee whereas paypal builds the fee into their conversion rate....it appears to be higher but when you add the 2 amounts charged by the bank it is usually higher than paypal's single amount.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

How do you get the older checkout? My 28 degrees card doesn't charge conversion fees and has a better exchange rate than paypal's.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply