Perishable item returned, seller wants me to pay their postage costs.

idss1
Community Member

I bought Blackmores Flaxseed Oil from a Pharmacy seller on Ebay. It is supposed to be refrigerated, as the oil will go rancid (go off). It got lost in transit for 11 days, so it is highly likely it will be off. If I was to consume the oil, it could give me food poisoning. So I refused delivery and it is being returned to the seller. The listing stated free postage, now the seller has told me I have to pay their postage costs. After 7 days, I sent the seller a message asking where the item was, but it was days before I heard back from them, so I purchased the item locally. I have done nothing wrong, if the item had been delivered in 3 days as promised, it would have been fine, but 11 days is too much. Has anybody else had this happen to them? 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

idss1
Community Member

It is clear from some of the responses, that some people have completely missed the point. I am not trying to punish the seller, nor do I wish for the seller to be out of pocket. Australia Post is the identity at fault! If I was to pay return postage (with tracking), Australia Post have just doubled their sale (clever aren't they!) increasing their profit! Both the buyer and seller lose, Australia Post wins!!! If you receive a parcel that has been damaged in transit, you should not accept the item and it will be returned to the sender. The sender can then make a claim for the item!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I take Flaxseed Oil Tablets and I didn't know they have to be refridgerated. They are not kept in the Fridge from the Healthfood shop where I buy them from. They are on the shelf. Were yours Tablets ?

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You should have accepted the item and checked if it was off.

If it was you could open a dispute for Item Not As Described in ebay and the seller would have had to refund the original amount you paid and have to pay the return postage.

As it is now the seller can refund whatever she likes as it has not been done through ebay and is really only a change of mind on your part as there is no proof that there was anything wrong with the item.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Was it oil not in tablet form?

I wouldn't think online sellers would be sending it at all if it is an oil that needs refrigerating.. even 3 days without refrigeration would be a problem in that case.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Read this on an au site

Q4:  Why should Stoney Creek Flaxseed Oil be refrigerated?
A: Flaxseed oil is quite sensitive. If exposed to light, oxygen or excessive heat, the oil can turn rancid and its unique Omega 3 qualities will be lost. Fresh flaxseed oil should always taste pleasant and nutty. xxx Flaxseed Oil has a โ€œBest Beforeโ€ date of twelve months, and can be frozen for up to five years; once opened, it will keep in the fridge for up to three months (keep container closed between use).                   
Note: It is not critical that flaxseed oil be refrigerated in transit - it will not deteriorate like an unrefrigerated dairy product. However, it should be stored and displayed under refrigeration to maximise its shelf life.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

I've never refrigerated it. I buy the big bottles off the shelf at the chemist in capsule form. Have never got sick (mind you, I have a cast iron gut). I've been taking it for years and have never refrigerated it. It says to store below 25C.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

You may wonโ€™t to reconsider your advice. Cut and paste from eBay Money Back Guarantee document

Not Covered โ€ฆ Items damaged duringโ€ฆpostage

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

The listing stated free postage, now the seller has told me I have to pay their postage costs

------------------------------------------

I understand your concerns but this part of your post that I have quoted above intrigued me.

Do you really think postage is free?

Of course it isn't. No one gets it free.

The seller has no say in how ebay words it, but what it means is postage costs are included in the total cost.

It does not include return postage.

Lyndal was right. If you had a bone to pick with the seller, you should have contacted ebay and arranged to post the item back, but my understanding is that with any item, you have to do this at your expense. Paypal or ebay might then refund you the initial cost/postage but not the return postage, so yes, you will be out of pocket unless the seller decides to also refund that portion. But they don't have to.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

springy - from 1st Nov seller has to pay return postage, but not for items damaged in transit or customer change of mind.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Gee, talk about adding insult to injury, if you were a seller who had done nothing wrong.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply