Pick up item

I wanted to buy an item and it is a pick up locally. The item was listed on Gumtree a while back and I was thinking of buying it then but had a slight discrepancy with seller so forgot about it.
If I buy item she will figure out its me and could dig her heels in and possibly cancel the sale(I'm not sure if she can do this)
I do have to go and pick up and am a bit apprehensive about it. She seems very fussy and demanding i. e. argued I couldn't take item on bus as it was too large which was rubbish. You can also make offer on item.
Message 1 of 90
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pick up item

@michellebartley wrote:
I tried to buy it when she listed it on Gumtree and she was very hard to communicate with. So I gave up. So she's gonna be more fussy now it's listed on EBay.

How do you figure that?

On gumtree, she can do as she likes-accept your offer, refuse to sell to you when you turn up etc

On ebay, anyone can bid on her item & she doesn't have to sell it but her account could suffer if she just decides to cancel.

Given she is hard to communicate with, have a good look at the description & sizes listed, then make a bid if you still want it.

You can make an offer but you run the risk of her seeing your name and not only rejecting the offer but putting you on her blocked bidder list. However, if the gumtree business was some time ago, she may have forgotten your name, so it is up to you what you do, make an offer or buy at full price etc.

Do you have a friend who could drive you there for pick up? When you arrange pick up, you are under no obligation to tell a seller exactly how you intend to get there or how you intend to get it home. All you have to do is arrange a time.

But they are under no obligation to help you carry it anywhere either so keep it in mind.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 90
Latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

Pick up item

Michelle. you have been around here long enough to know how things work.  The seller can choose if she wishes to sell to you or not.  As a seller can cancel any sale she wishes.  You will never know until you make an offer or bid.

I am sorrt but find the bit about her being ""fussy & demanding""

Message 2 of 90
Latest reply

Pick up item

I tried to buy it when she listed it on Gumtree and she was very hard to communicate with. So I gave up. So she's gonna be more fussy now it's listed on EBay.
Message 3 of 90
Latest reply

Pick up item

You will do what you want to do, as you always do,regardless of what anyone here says or what any seller says so I don't know what you would like us to tell you

Just don't expect the seller to refund you and take the item back if you do indeed find the item is too big for the bus, or if the bus driver tells you you can't bring it on his/her bus and take up passenger space with it

Message 4 of 90
Latest reply

Pick up item

Ill put an offer in and see what happens.
Message 5 of 90
Latest reply

Pick up item

@michellebartley wrote:

How do you figure that?

On gumtree, she can do as she likes-accept your offer, refuse to sell to you when you turn up etc

On ebay, anyone can bid on her item & she doesn't have to sell it but her account could suffer if she just decides to cancel.

Given she is hard to communicate with, have a good look at the description & sizes listed, then make a bid if you still want it.

You can make an offer but you run the risk of her seeing your name and not only rejecting the offer but putting you on her blocked bidder list. However, if the gumtree business was some time ago, she may have forgotten your name, so it is up to you what you do, make an offer or buy at full price etc.

Do you have a friend who could drive you there for pick up? When you arrange pick up, you are under no obligation to tell a seller exactly how you intend to get there or how you intend to get it home. All you have to do is arrange a time.

But they are under no obligation to help you carry it anywhere either so keep it in mind.

Message 6 of 90
Latest reply

Pick up item

Friend helping, picking it up is a good idea. Possibly get friend to bid on it / buy instead too.
Message 7 of 90
Latest reply

Pick up item

For someone who has been a seller in the past you should be the last one to advocate trying to get around a seller's blocks, if indeed the seller has blocked Michelle.

Message 8 of 90
Latest reply

Pick up item

She hasn't blocked me. I put an offer in but got no response. I don't think it's worth pursuing, it's giving me grey hair. She obviously isn't interested in making a sale.
Message 9 of 90
Latest reply

Pick up item

@lyndal1838 wrote:

For someone who has been a seller in the past you should be the last one to advocate trying to get around a seller's blocks, if indeed the seller has blocked Michelle.

Michelle is a good sort Lyndal. One of the most pleasent / polite people here and there's nothing wrong with the way she deals with sellers! Seller's loss if they decide not to deal with her.
Message 10 of 90
Latest reply