Postage added after transaction completed, blamed on Ebay

vemcc2
Community Member

Hi, 

I purchased 3 items from a seller with free postage stated. The seller then requested more money for postage, which I know he cannot do. I told the seller this and here is the reply:

"Hi, Thank you for your reply and letting me know about this matter. I think there is a problem with ebay listing system because this is my second time to experienced this matter, My first buyer supposedly from brazil has also won the bid last week and it appears on my listing that it is a free shipping that i listed with a postage fee. You're welcome to cancel your orders and i will refund your payment in my paypal that i received. I will attach original photos on my listings for you to see that i screenshot last week feb.20. And i think it's better if we both also bring this matter to ebay staff so that they will fix and make it better and smoother transaction experience in our next deal. I am Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have other questions. Thank you".

I bought the items in good faith and would like to receive same. Should I accept the refund and forget about it?

Is there a problem with the listing system? Can't the seller review the listing prior to posting? 

Any help appreciated

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Postage added after transaction completed, blamed on Ebay

There has been a problem with listings when using a mobile phone.

Some listings do show free postage in the searches but not in the postage section.

Also selecting pick up can show as free postage.

It's been happening for years.

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you really want the items you can pay the postage.

You are lucky you have a seller who is agreeable to a cancellation in the circumstances.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I'd let the seller know that it's not your fault that the system stuffed up. You'd like to purchase goods as contracted and paid for. 

Tell him to put a claim into Ebay for his loss. 

I think challenge him in case its b#^l**bleep**, if he is genuine he will take it further, if not, then the seller is full of it. 

Jmho

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@ineke713wrote:

Tell him to put a claim into Ebay for his loss. 

It is very unlikely that eBay will recompense the seller, they will claim it's the seller's problem not theirs.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

How much is the postage?  If it's an amount you consider reasonable and you want the items, if it were me I'd pay.  Otherwise, the seller sounds very accommodating so ask to cancel the sale.

I've had sellers who have underestimated the postage and I had a rule about it.  If they let me know first and it's quite expensive I usually agree to a cancellation....unless it's a collectable and it might be years before I can find another one so I say go ahead and send the invoice and I'll buy it.

If a seller has underestimated the postage but sent my purchase anyway...and mentioned the true cost but has not asked for the extra amount, I wait until the item arrives then make a decision on what to do. This has happened only 4 or 5 times since I joined eBay (and other similar sites) and in each case I decided to send the seller the extra money.  In fact I did it this week on a different site.  The seller had not updated all the listings to reflect shipping increases.  My thinking is, it's postage.....not usually in my case a huge sum...so why not be a good customer?

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I've heard of the problem before & the fact the seller is willing to show you original photos to me is strong evidence he is telling the truth. He had hit a problem first time round so he took a screenshot next time. He has no idea what is causing the error but I have read of it sometimes being a glitch with mobile phones, as kopenhagen said.

Of course you don't have to pay more, but in that case, just go with the cancellation because you can't really force the seller to send..

I know you bought the items in good faith but the seller listed in good faith too, and when he listed, he did enter a postage amount. This is not a person changing their mind after a sale. He obviously did review the ad after listing it, which is how he happened to get it on screenshot, showing the postage amount.

If you really do want the things, then it is up to you to decide if the added postage makes the deal worthwhile or if you'd rather wait to see the item elsewhere.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply