Postage fee is free for most area except remote or offshore area.

dioau69
Community Member

I'm relatively new to Ebay. I purchased an item for $378.90. The seller listed the item as free postage and in their Delivery information tab within item description state 'Postage fee is free for most area except remote or offshore area.' I live in remote NT, so entered my postcode in the 'postage and payment' tab and hit the 'get rates' button. Postage remained as free, so I went ahead with the purchase. Now the seller is telling me that they are very sorry, but they didn't realise the postage to my area is $300. No solution has been offered (refund, part payment of freight etc) they have just said they are sorry. What should and can I do?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

So you are in the Tiwi Islands & they will not send to Darwin if I'm reading all correctly? You need to ask your seller to cancel the purchase & refund your money ASAP as your first option.

It is clear that this transaction would or could be problemmatic should it go ahead any further.

Other than that you can open a dispute for return of your funds. Once a dispute is opened; Please do not close it until you have your money back. I cannot stress this enough; As once a dispute is closed it cannot be reopened & your money may be lost to you.

Please double check my info with regards to disputes, as I'm not sure whetther the ebay or Paypal dispute shows first on your list of dispute options. Perhaps some other kind helper here can assist you further? 

Anyone here to help further please? I still don't know the nature of the purchase; But most probably over the 5kg satchel which doesn't incur boat costs when I send things to my friends.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

You/seller can cancel purchase
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Just ask for a refund.

Afterall the seller had mentioned it in the listing but eBay's postage calculator doesn't have functions for special circumstances so can't blame the seller really.

image host
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

It's a little ambiguous if the listing doesn't specify which postcodes/areas are not free. Seller needs to be more proactive and you'd be quite just to leave appropriate feedback.
Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the listing stated that the postage was not free to remote areas and you admit you live in remote NT why did you not ask the seller when it came up as Free postage?

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

If you, as you have stated, checked if your area was free and it was, AND if you have already paid via paypal (secure payment type) then give your parcel a few weeks to arrive and if it doesnt then open a Item Not Receive dispute. As all listings state, Listing is the sellers responsiblilty, so it is up to them to ensure all details are correct. It appears you have done nothing wrong.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@dioau69 wrote:

I'm relatively new to Ebay. I purchased an item for $378.90. The seller listed the item as free postage and in their Delivery information tab within item description state 'Postage fee is free for most area except remote or offshore area.' I live in remote NT, so entered my postcode in the 'postage and payment' tab and hit the 'get rates' button. Postage remained as free, so I went ahead with the purchase. Now the seller is telling me that they are very sorry, but they didn't realise the postage to my area is $300. No solution has been offered (refund, part payment of freight etc) they have just said they are sorry. What should and can I do?

First off, you are not obliged to pay the extra $300 in postage if you paid & it came up as free postage in the original invoice.

However, the seller in these circumstances cannot be expected to pay out for the postage either. There isn't anything you can do to force the sale to go through. But you can certainly get your money back.

The seller here has probably not handled it as well as he should have because he hasn't offered you any options or guidance at all.

He should have stated his position clearly & let you know your choices.

I'm guessing he didn't as he is leaving it open for you to either pay the postage or ask for a refund.

I don't think he is going to offer any part payment of freight. 

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

$300 postage to a remote area is unbelievably high.

How are parcels delivered to you for it to cost so much?

You are heavily penalised for living in a remote area, I had no idea things could be so expensive.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Firstly; As stated above; I'd politely ask for a refund of monies paid.  The seller seems a tad unhelpful in your case; Or just lacks the knowledge & experience to help you successfully recover your funds. (or maybe hopes you'll forget & buy elsewhere?)

If all else fails you can approach ebay or Paypal to expedite your refund. Come back to this thread for more specific info on how to do this, should needs be.

The real reason I'm writing is I often send parcels to friends on Melville & Bathurst Islands; Way off Darwin's coast & whilst they take awhile to get there (2 to 3 weeks from metro Melb) the most I've ever paid to send things under 5kg was the cost of a 5kg Austpost satchel. 

Not knowing the weight nor nature of your purchase; I'd still think $300 was way off & overpriced. Very heavy parcels go by boat from Darwin - As Far As I Know - & Smaller packages go by light plane. Even if you are far inland on a Station; I'd imagine the costs to be similar to those to the Tiwi Islands. About the only thing you can't buy or send is perfume & other possibly flammable goods to far NT addresses where the parcels must fly in.

I have a perfume license; but when I sell it I state no FI/FO destinations please! Road transport only no fly in destinations. I hope my info & experience has helped! Good Luck & don't forget to check any other replies to your thread!

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

You are right about barge. Everything goes to Dawin and then we receive a barge service each week. Yesterday I asked the seller for suggestions for a resolution but have not received a reply over a day later. 

Today I have asked for the purchase to be sent to an address in Darwin. I don't believe that Darwin could be considered remote. From there I will arange for the freight to here - which I know I will be charged $55 for the barge service. 

Thank you all for your responses. Hopefully I will not have to come back and ask how to take the matter further

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply