Postage from USA - why so expensive?

I have pretty much given up buying avything from the USA. Are their overseas postage fees really that exhorbitant at the other end? We are talking $25 - $30 for very small packages, compared to around $10 - $15 equivalent delivery method from the UK.

Message 1 of 150
Latest reply
149 REPLIES 149

agree about Sean Connery, he still had that cool factor, & ladies still love him. I have a friend who says she finds the grey bearded Connery way sexier than the young one.

Message 131 of 150
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:
And also exceptionally vain, apparently.

When Ringo Lam (one of my favourite directors of all time, at least for his HK ventures, RIP Smiley Sad) worked with him on Maximum Risk, he said the end product was nothing like what it was supposed to be, because JCVD [allegedly] forced a lot of re-editing to include more shots and closeups of himself, lol. John Woo said the same thing (apparently, working on a JCVD film was a rite of passage for HK directors wanting to break into Hollywood). 

I didn't know about the vanity example!

Admittedly he was a beautiful man to look at during Maximum Risk... but as I re-watch one particular fight scene (the elevator scene), JCVD's character doesn't exhibit high-level grappling skills or transfer of weight/balance... which I am sure JCVD must have actually possessed. If JCVD forced some of the changes - e.g., some of the grimaces and close-ups in that elevator scene - he didn't do himself any favours for those who know and appreciate true martial arts.

What a pity...

For the most exquisitely and perfect technical judo I've ever seen (and which is more exciting to me than the MR elevator scene), Kyuzo Mifune. Nothing more need be said.

I can see quite a choice of his OOP book "The Canon of Judo" available on eBay... Expensive, though. Its availability is not limited to eBay. I have a PDF version but there is absolutely no beating having the actual printed book in my own hands.

(I find it a great deal easier to assimilate data or information in a hard copy textbook rather than pages on a screen. It means that my must-get list costs me dearly, but the plus side is the utter pleasure of reading from the books themselves.

Message 132 of 150
Latest reply

@barney_rubbles wrote:

agree about Sean Connery, he still had that cool factor, & ladies still love him. I have a friend who says she finds the grey bearded Connery way sexier than the young one.

Well, I wouldn't quite say that! The younger Connery is a "compleat man", at least portraying intelligence, charm, interest, passion, sensitivity, a dark quality that gives the chiaroscuro of the soul... and those eyes!

As he aged, he didn't lose any of those things. He's the perfect example of how age doesn't need to matter.

Message 133 of 150
Latest reply

That Mifune video took me down a YouTube rabbit hole for a while Smiley LOL

Hollywood action choreography was always a bit lacking (JMHO, at least until the Matrix hit big, which utilised Yuen Woo Ping, an absolute legend, to choreograph their fight scenes) so that wasn't necessarily a JCVD-exclusive problem I think. In HK movies, the fight scenes, the styles chosen for each character, props used (if any), right down to each move, says something more about the character and story, and they had masters of those fighting styles doing it all - whereas in Hollywood, the focus was often on just what looks cool (or, in some cases, sounded cool on paper Smiley LOL ).

Things have gotten a lot better in recent years, though (currently rewatching the Daredevil series on Netflix, wasn't perfect but still seriously well done and the fight choregoraphy was A grade, in that each move and method is an aspect of the characters and heightens the story, not purely a machismo display, lol). 

Message 134 of 150
Latest reply

You now have the option of using shop mate service from Australia Post. 

Message 135 of 150
Latest reply

It is very much more expensive than a lot of the forwarding services already being used.....do a lot of research before using it.

Message 136 of 150
Latest reply

I heard in a lot of instances it's dearer than the GSP! Who'd have thought?

Message 137 of 150
Latest reply

15-30 for a shipped item? That’s lucky
Most things I look at from the US are in the hundreds (1-600$+) for postage to australia... but China ... 15$...
What the actual hell is going on
Message 138 of 150
Latest reply

@dunlopguitarist wrote:
15-30 for a shipped item? That’s lucky
Most things I look at from the US are in the hundreds (1-600$+) for postage to australia... but China ... 15$...
What the actual hell is going on

The Chinese government subsidises exports?

China is significantly closer to Australia than the USA?

The packaging is commensurate with the quality?

I fail to understand why you would be comparing US and Chinese sourced items. It's like deciding that freight for a Corvette should be the same as freight for a Chinese Citroen.

Your 15-30 quote was many years ago, when this thread was in the bloom of youth.

Message 139 of 150
Latest reply

I agreed with you...many items from China hot free delivery or very low cost delivery...when you try to buy something from us you give up as it is 10...15...20 times the cost.

The high delivery costs from us is unreasonable.

We already have to pay 10...or 20% SGT import tax from Us...while with China only 5%.....why 2 different %?

And if u also add the delivery costs it became almost impossible to buy from US also if prices in Us are very cheap.

Message 140 of 150
Latest reply