Purchasing a boat and seller only accepts paypal

valentinebebe13
Community Member

Hi there was wondering if you guys could help me, i purchased a boat off here a couple of days ago the seller is from my town and only accepts paypal and no pick ups. I would like to inspect the boat before i pay for it is there anyway i could possibly do that? I thought paypal don't protect against boats and cars??

Message 1 of 79
Latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

Re: Purchasing a boat and seller only accepts paypal

It does state in the listing No Pick Up. Probably should have thought about that or contacted the seller before bidding.

I can only suggest contacting him and asking how much it will cost to deliver to your house as he may not want anyone coming to his house which needs to be respected.

image host
Message 2 of 79
Latest reply

valentinebebe13
Community Member

It states how much "postage" is he even messaged me to say he will "postI it to me once paid. I'm asking if there happens to be anything wrong with it do PayPal have coverage over it as I thought they didnt

Message 3 of 79
Latest reply

I would suggest that anyone selling a boat who wants to be paid by paypal instead of cash and wont allow a boat to be collected.....you may well have your answer there. Seems like something is not right there.

Message 4 of 79
Latest reply

I just had a look. I think this person is counting on the extra money he intends to charge to deliver the boat. Not sure if it varies by locatio but it seems he wants an extra $900 for delivery.

Message 5 of 79
Latest reply

JMO but I would forget it & cop the non payer strike-check the negs !!

Seller is nuts.

Message 6 of 79
Latest reply

I also think it will be more trouble than it's worth. Suggest you ask for a mutual cancellation as you didn't notice there was no pick up.

image host
Message 7 of 79
Latest reply

You are correct that there would be no Paypal seller protection however if you were prepared to pay the $900 shipping which should be included on the invoice and fund the payment with a credit card that covers 3rd party payments you would be able to do a chargeback if it did not arrive however if it was not as described you would have to return it, presumably to far north Queensland, at your own expense and by a trackable method.

I would forget it and do a bit more research before bidding on anything else of this nature.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 79
Latest reply

Paypal, boats, vehicles and no pick up are a bad combination. It's ridiculous if you can't even inspect a boat that's in your area.

TCT
Message 9 of 79
Latest reply

Probably a Nigerian PayPal scammer, run and don't send a cent, you'll probably never see the boat. I saw a report of a guy that saw a BMW listed for sale as an overseas import, using a picture of his own BMW.

Message 10 of 79
Latest reply